• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I fight this Chicago parking ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I moved here from Michigan a few years ago and actually will be moving away soon. Either back to Michigan or some other state.

Anyways, I have never put the second license plate on the front of my car because, being from Michigan, there is no place to attach it to. Up to now this has not been an issue, but the other day we were North of downtown eating and parked in one of the many street parking spots. When I came out to my car, there was a ticket loosely in the door for missing the license plate.

As far as I can tell the ticket is fine. Nothing is incorrect, although it is missing the VIN, but the plate is on there and I understand that is enough.

So my question is this, since I don't have a place to mount the front plate, can I get out of this ticket?

Also, as I eluded to, the ticket was placed in the edge of the door and was actually almost falling out. It was raining quite heavy and I'm sure if I would have gotten to my car a little bit later, the ticket would have fallen out to the ground. I don't know why they didn't put it on the windshield, but I'm tempted to just ignore it and play that it was never attached to my car.

Thoughts? Do I have any options here?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I moved here from Michigan a few years ago and actually will be moving away soon. Either back to Michigan or some other state.

Anyways, I have never put the second license plate on the front of my car because, being from Michigan, there is no place to attach it to. Up to now this has not been an issue, but the other day we were North of downtown eating and parked in one of the many street parking spots. When I came out to my car, there was a ticket loosely in the door for missing the license plate.

As far as I can tell the ticket is fine. Nothing is incorrect, although it is missing the VIN, but the plate is on there and I understand that is enough.

So my question is this, since I don't have a place to mount the front plate, can I get out of this ticket?

Also, as I eluded to, the ticket was placed in the edge of the door and was actually almost falling out. It was raining quite heavy and I'm sure if I would have gotten to my car a little bit later, the ticket would have fallen out to the ground. I don't know why they didn't put it on the windshield, but I'm tempted to just ignore it and play that it was never attached to my car.

Thoughts? Do I have any options here?
Pay the ticket and move on...your excuses are weak.

Pay the ticket and move on...your excuses are weak.
How is it weak when I have no place to even attached a plate? Is this some sort of tax that they can impose on others that move here anytime they like then? I'm not going to deface my car or risk puncturing a radiator just to mount a stupid plate on the front of my car.

Zigner

How is it weak when I have no place to even attached a plate? Is this some sort of tax that they can impose on others that move here anytime they like then? I'm not going to deface my car or risk puncturing a radiator just to mount a stupid plate on the front of my car.
The reason that excuse is weak is because a plate is required and your vehicle's manufacturer makes brackets with which to attach your plate. I know they do because they are required to do so for states that DO require front plates.

The reason that excuse is weak is because a plate is required and your vehicle's manufacturer makes brackets with which to attach your plate. I know they do because they are required to do so for states that DO require front plates.
And how am I to know this? The secretary of state did not tell me this and I've even been to my local dealership and they never even mentioned it! When I looked into front mounts, they cost like $50, and I don't have that. I'll have to call the dealership and see how much they charge.

Regardless, I still think the ticket is BS.

Zigner

And how am I to know this? The secretary of state did not tell me this and I've even been to my local dealership and they never even mentioned it! When I looked into front mounts, they cost like $50, and I don't have that. I'll have to call the dealership and see how much they charge.
It's not the secretary of state's job to tell you this. Are you saying that the dealer's parts department never mentioned a bracket when you inquired? If so, then how do you know they cost $50?

Regardless, I still think the ticket is BS.
The ticket is perfectly valid. It seems to me that you think the law is BS. If you wish to change it, contact the appropriate legislative folks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How is it weak when I have no place to even attached a plate?
That's YOUR fault.

The fact that two plates were issued to you is a huge clue that they BOTH must be mounted on the car. Ignorance is no excuse.

Stop whining and get over it. You are wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">