• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i fight these tickets? can i get away with not paying these tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chanie7070

i've had a motorcycle for the past few years, but haven't ridden it in a while because
a) i let the registration/inspection/insurance expire because it got really expensive
b) i got pregnant and didnt feel like it was a good idea to be riding in NYC where i live
c) i didn't do what i should have to winterize it properly, and it's rusty, the gas tank has congealed gas, and it's probably done for... maybe just worth its parts.

i didn't have anywhere better, so i kept the bike on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building, where it was kind of out of sight and out of the way. i really didn't take care of it and it looks very out of use.

it was fine for over a year, but today i noticed 3 tickets tucked into the seat. all were from the same officer at the same time.
one was for expired registration ($65), one for expired inspection ($65), and one for parking on the sidewalk ($115). that's almost $250... for a bike that is not that valuable and i'm not planning on riding again. i was thinking of selling it for parts, especially since i am moving to Georgia soon and i don't want to take it with me.

my questions are:
can i (and should i bother to) fight these tickets? does a car/bike have to be registered and inspected if it's not being used at all? i can prove that i haven't used it--- it's not working!!

also, if i sell the bike for parts, do the tickets follow me? they were written to the license plate number, not my driver's license (and yes, i know the plates are connected to my driver's license)

i'm planning on moving to GA; will the tickets follow me there? does GA have reciprocity with NY? (i'm not even sure if i understand how that works or what it means).

i'm not trying to dodge the law, i just don't want to spend that money on a piece of junk motorcycle that should be in a dump. remember.. i have a baby on the way :) i'd much rather save my money if i can.

thanks in advance!

Isis1

i've had a motorcycle for the past few years, but haven't ridden it in a while because
a) i let the registration/inspection/insurance expire because it got really expensive
b) i got pregnant and didnt feel like it was a good idea to be riding in NYC where i live
c) i didn't do what i should have to winterize it properly, and it's rusty, the gas tank has congealed gas, and it's probably done for... maybe just worth its parts.

i didn't have anywhere better, so i kept the bike on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building, where it was kind of out of sight and out of the way. i really didn't take care of it and it looks very out of use.

it was fine for over a year, but today i noticed 3 tickets tucked into the seat. all were from the same officer at the same time.
one was for expired registration ($65), one for expired inspection ($65), and one for parking on the sidewalk ($115). that's almost $250... for a bike that is not that valuable and i'm not planning on riding again. i was thinking of selling it for parts, especially since i am moving to Georgia soon and i don't want to take it with me.

my questions are:
can i (and should i bother to) fight these tickets? does a car/bike have to be registered and inspected if it's not being used at all? i can prove that i haven't used it--- it's not working!!

also, if i sell the bike for parts, do the tickets follow me? they were written to the license plate number, not my driver's license (and yes, i know the plates are connected to my driver's license)

i'm planning on moving to GA; will the tickets follow me there? does GA have reciprocity with NY? (i'm not even sure if i understand how that works or what it means).

i'm not trying to dodge the law, i just don't want to spend that money on a piece of junk motorcycle that should be in a dump. remember.. i have a baby on the way :) i'd much rather save my money if i can.

thanks in advance!
the tickets will follow you. even if there is a baby on the way. you can pay the tickets now, or rack up late fees. i hear there suspending driver's licenses for unpaid tickets. ;)

asiny

does a car/bike have to be registered and inspected if it's not being used at all?
If the vehicle was on private property - i.e. your own land, not necessarily. Seeing as this was parked on public property, yes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggest the OP get on the ball and sell the bike for parts. Then, use the money to pay the tickets!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If the OP had the vehicle parked in their driveway (i.e. on their own land) they could still get a valid ticket.
Nope. No way, not in NYC.

The only notice of violation for parking that can be issued on private property is for handicapped parking without a permit.

If the vehicle is in a private driveway it doesn't need plates, registration, inspection, etc.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This wasn't on Washington Street right off Rector was it? I just wrote a motorcycle in that area for the same things.

Why would you think it's okay to park it on the sidewalk to begin with?

You'd better move it somewhere, and fast, because once the officer knows that there is an easy target there he will be back regularly and the fines you owe will skyrocket.

asiny

Nope. No way, not in NYC.

The only notice of violation for parking that can be issued on private property is for handicapped parking without a permit.

If the vehicle is in a private driveway it doesn't need plates, registration, inspection, etc.
Thanks for the clearing that one up. I was not 100% - hence my 'not necessarily'.

antiquedriver

Actually, you are trying to dodge the law. You parked it there, you let the insurance and plates lapse.
I dont know about that. She is not driving the vehicle. Since the insurance is bad and the plates are bad one cannot get the other without one being good. The tickets will be in the name of the person on the registration. If thats you (not your mom or boyfriend) then leave the area. The tickets will drop off your license in NY typically in 7 years. If you dont come back to NY there should be no problem. The city probably will inpound the motorcycle if you dont pay the tickets if thats ok then so be it but remember the tow and inpound fees can add up. At some point the city might resort to a collection company.
P.s. The city can run the VIN and get your information if your on the title. If you plan to remove the plates and leave the bike.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">