• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a ticket in ME for expired inspection for MA reg car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sailorman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I have a car registered in MA up at school in ME. My inspection will expire when I am still in ME before I have plans to go back to MA for a break.

Can a ME officer issue me a ticket for an expired inspection sticker?

Thanks.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I have a car registered in MA up at school in ME. My inspection will expire when I am still in ME before I have plans to go back to MA for a break.

Can a ME officer issue me a ticket for an expired inspection sticker?

Thanks.
**A: yes, it is possible.

sailorman

yes, i need an inspection, not registration. this can only be done at a mass approved station, it can't be done here in ME, which is the issue, and why I wanted to know if the ME police could ticket me...

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would say it's unlikely that you would be written, but possible.

For example, as a NY police officer I don't even know what other state's laws are regarding inspections. It's different than, say, registrations because ALL states require vehicles to be registered.

If I stopped someone with an out of state vehicle with an expired inspection they could tell me that their state no longer requires inspections and I wouldn't necessarily know if that was the case. NY vehicles require inspections, but other states? Who knows.

NJ and CT have now done away with their plate registration stickers - I would use them to determine PC for an expired registration. No more. And CT can't even decide on what they want to do with registration stickers. They eliminated their plate stickers then went with a windshield registration sticker about 2 years ago. Now they decided they don't want that anymore either. The point is when it comes to things like that one doesn't really know.

If you knew you were going to be away you should have had the car inspected early. You can, of course, still be cited as soon as you get back to MA.

HighwayMan

If you removed the sticker from the windshield it probably wouldn't even be missed in Maine. Then you'd have no expired stickers on display.

sailorman

thanks hwyman. MA does use a sticker in the rt corner of the windshield with a number for the month on it.

i don't want to imply that the police officers in towns are just looking for expirations, but they can pull you over for it, and it certainly generates revenue. You then have 10 days to get it renewed. Of course, being in ME, I can't easily get it inspected, it is a day roundtrip of driving to do this in MA.

I would think that if I had a moving violation in ME, maybe the officer could also cite me for an expired inspection, but I was hoping that I wouldn't just pulled over for this until I get home for break at the end of the year. I appreciate your perspective, and the work you guys do.

TigerD

According to the Mass. DMV website:
Massachusetts RMV - Inspections FAQs
I am going out of state for three months, and my Massachusetts sticker will expire while I am out of state. What should I do?
You have two options. You can submit your vehicle for an inspection before you leave, and if you pass you will get a new Certificate of Inspection valid for one year, or when your Massachusetts sticker expires, you may submit your vehicle for inspection in another state that has both safety and emissions inspections. Once you return to Massachusetts, you will have 15 days to submit your vehicle for a Massachusetts inspection. To determine which states have safety and emissions programs, visit their web sites. For more information and requirements for out of state or reciprocity inspections.

sailorman

Appreicate the info. Was more looking for what is the probability I will get stopped by a ME officer for having MA inspection expired? I would like to just wait until the holidays when i am home, but if chances are high I amto get a $100 fine or something. I drive about 20 mi a week. Local roads.

You can try to get a Maine inspection, but most stations will refuse because they only get $12 and it honestly costs them more to inspect what is required.
You should be able to get one in New Hampshire because they can charge up to $50. That would make you legal in Maine.
Realize that because of the military and resident laws it is not impossible to have it inspected in a different state.

HighwayMan

I would say remove the sticker. Chances are if you get stopped it wouldn't even be noticed. If an officer sees a sticker that is expired he might be tempted to write it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">