• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can NYS DMV or the NYC MAKE you sell your car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkahlona

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY.

My friend tells me a bizarre story. The vehicle is registered in her husband's name; title in both names. Husband accumulates parking tickets: city tows car. NYS now suspends husbands registration. Motor vehicles informs the couple that they MUST sell the car to a "total stranger," not to a relative nor to the wife. They have the money to pay for the tickets, fees, etc. Why do they have to sell the car?

1) Why can't the wife drive the car? Can the wife get the car out the pound even though the registration belongs to the husband? Again, since title is in her name too, why can't she register the car? MV is telling the wife that she can NOT drive the car either. No crime was committed such as vehicular manslaugher or hit & run; just tickets (not making light of scofflaw).

2) The couple is being punished rather than the husband. Why can't the wife register the car in her name? MV says, "No!". She can't register the car in her name until February 2012.

Please help to make sense of this. Other than a neglectful husband, no criminal activity was involved with this vehicle.
:mad:

patstew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY.

My friend tells me a bizarre story. The vehicle is registered in her husband's name; title in both names. Husband accumulates parking tickets: city tows car. NYS now suspends husbands registration. Motor vehicles informs the couple that they MUST sell the car to a "total stranger," not to a relative nor to the wife. They have the money to pay for the tickets, fees, etc. Why do they have to sell the car?
Either your friend left out some details or you did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">