• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can private citizens profit from booting a car in their own parking lot?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzcf48

Located in Missouri, I parked my car in a fraternity parking lot, and returned later to see the car had a boot on it. I understood I was in the wrong to park in their lot and willing to pay the company that was hired to boot it or later tow the car. However when I called the number I was made aware that the person who booted the car was just a member of the fraternity. Is it legal for him to boot the car in his parking lot without being a police officer or someone with the authority to do this to someones car? He could have just called a towing company if it was really a problem but instead he just would only accept $150 cash to take it off. The operation seemed sketchy as he would only accept cash, and although he threatened with towing the car, he has not, which leaves me to believe he does not want to tow the car but just profit $150 in cash to take off the boot. I don't think this is a legal practice and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to handle this kid, asking for (probably beer money) $150 cash to remove a boot that he bought online as a way to shake down local unsuspecting college girls who wouldn't know any better than to just pay them this fine. I am considering bluffing to him saying this is not legal and I would consider getting the police involved, however I would like to know a little bit more before calling back if anyone out there could help me with what I should know in this situation, thank you.

tranquility

No, he can't do that. It is conversion or trespass to chattel. However, he could have it towed if parked illegally. I'm not sure how the courts would find if trespass to chattel. The person would get the amount to be made whole. What is that amount when the [legal] alternative would cost a person more?

Mass_Shyster

No, he can't do that. It is conversion or trespass to chattel. However, he could have it towed if parked illegally. I'm not sure how the courts would find if trespass to chattel. The person would get the amount to be made whole. What is that amount when the [legal] alternative would cost a person more?
It's also extortion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">