• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they impound my car for not paying parking ticket late fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Something

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
Just today I received my sixth parking ticket. All of the previous five tickets had already been paid, but they were paid a bit late (just over the 21 day limit) and I did not pay the late fees. So today when the sixth was received the parking enforcer called the towing company and refused to stop the towing, even though I was standing right there as it happened. We were forced to pay late fees as well as high priced towing and impoundment fees to be able to get our car back. Is this legal? Can they force you to pay late fees and tow your car for not paying them? Is it possible for the City of San Diego to reimburse me for these outrageous fees? Hope someone can help! Thanks!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Something said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
Just today I received my sixth parking ticket. All of the previous five tickets had already been paid, but they were paid a bit late (just over the 21 day limit) and I did not pay the late fees. So today when the sixth was received the parking enforcer called the towing company and refused to stop the towing, even though I was standing right there as it happened. We were forced to pay late fees as well as high priced towing and impoundment fees to be able to get our car back. Is this legal? Can they force you to pay late fees and tow your car for not paying them? Is it possible for the City of San Diego to reimburse me for these outrageous fees? Hope someone can help! Thanks!!

My response:

Yes, they can do this to you. That's how they're finally able to get their money out of you. Hell, you weren't paying before, so all the City did was "move the bar up" to get you to pay.

The City isn't going to give the money back to you. What a laugh!

IAAL

CdwJava

CA law permits the towing of a vehicle with 5 or more outstanding parking cites. Then there is the payment of the parking citation fines and assessed penalties paid to the city, then a release fee also to be paid to the city (to compensate them for the time and effort of processing the paperwork and), and an impound storage fee to be paid to the tow company which is likely something like $125 for the first day and $15-20 per day afterwards.

All told, you are probably lookin at $225 BEFORE the payment of citation fines and penalties ...

All in all it would have been MUCH cheaper to have paid the original parking fines.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">