• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you appeal order to turn in plates due to lapse in insurance coverage??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HWells7

I recently had a minor lapse in insurance coverage (a few days) because I pay online and apparently the payment was never processed on their end and I cannot show it prompted for payment on my end...I am not sure what happened. Anyway, I received an email from my ins company a full week later advising that the policy had cancelled, and shocked I immediately made the payment to reinstate coverage.

I just received a suspension order from the DMV advising that as a penalty I must turn in my plates at a certain date (approaching). I am not being given the option to pay a fine as unfortunately this happened to me another time within the past three years because the envelope never made it to the insurance company (which is why I now pay online - go figure). So the huge problem is I need the car during desperately during the 6 days I am required to turn over the plates, AND, I live in NYC and park my car on the street, and do not have a place to park it for the six days the plates are not on the car. (You cannot leave your car without plates on the street, it will get towed.) Paying for a very expensive parking lot is not an option. I have no real options here.

My question is, is there a way to appeal this? Is there any way they will agree to take a payment or anything else I can do? Again, turning in those plates is not an option.

Thank you!!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently had a minor lapse in insurance coverage (6 days) because I pay online and apparently the payment was never processed on their end and I cannot show it prompted for payment on my end...I am not sure what happened. Anyway, I received an email from Geico a full week later advising that the policy had cancelled, and shocked I immediately made the payment to reinstate coverage.

I just received a suspension order from the DMV advising that as a penalty I must turn in my plates at a certain date (approaching). I am not being given the option to pay a fine as unfortunately this happened to me another time within the past three years because the envelope never made it to the insurance company (which is why I now pay online - go figure). So the huge problem is I need the car during desperately during the 6 days I am required to turn over the plates, AND, I live in NYC and park my car on the street, and do not have a place to park it for the six days the plates are not on the car. (You cannot leave your car without plates on the street, it will get towed.) Paying for a very expensive parking lot is not an option. I have no real options here.

My question is, is there a way to appeal this? Is there any way they will agree to take a payment or anything else I can do? Again, turning in those plates is not an option.

Thank you!!
Ask them.

Silverplum

I recently had a minor lapse in insurance coverage (6 days) because I pay online and apparently the payment was never processed on their end and I cannot show it prompted for payment on my end...I am not sure what happened. Anyway, I received an email from Geico a full week later advising that the policy had cancelled, and shocked I immediately made the payment to reinstate coverage.

Thank you!!
Turning in the plates IS your "option." What makes you think you have "options?"

Park your car somewhere, and no, the law doesn't care that you haven't the money for a lot. Figure it out. Rent a car. Hail a taxi. Ride the bus.

xylene

You are going to have to be with the use of the car and store the car somewhere safe without plates. That is just the long and short total reality of the situation.

Borrow some money to pay for parking and taxis or car rental.

Park the car in a lot in an outer borough or with someone out on the island in a private garage. Get creative. Check craigslist, maybe even post an ad. You wont need in and out, maybe there is a deal to be found.

HWells7

Turning in the plates IS your "option." What makes you think you have "options?"

Park your car somewhere, and no, the law doesn't care that you haven't the money for a lot. Figure it out. Rent a car. Hail a taxi. Ride the bus.
I have options because the penalty for 6 days due to a technical glitch is extreme, particularly when I can prove that I made the payment immediately after being notified that it was cancelled. No use of a car for a week, hundreds of dollars in parking fees is extreme. There are always options and I look forward to hearing them tomorrow morning. Thank you!

Proserpina

You paid online on or before the due date, yes?

Paying online suggests you used either a credit/debit card or straight from your bank account, right?

So someone, somewhere, should be able to confirm when the payment was made - as well as when the payment was processed if they're two different dates.

Right?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your first step is to deal with Geico. If they know they made an error then they will rectify the situation with DMV.

If not (probably because it was your error) then you have to deal with the consequences.

As far as I know, there are two options in cases like this (unless this has changed recently). Either you turn in your plates and keep your car off the road for the number of days your insurance lapsed, or you pay DMV a civil penalty which is a certain amount of money for each day your insurance lapsed. You need to get that information from the DMV and make sure it all still works that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">