• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Broken down/ popped tire | double parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Illan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi,

Im writing from Brooklyn NY, could anyone point me to where I can find rules about double parking when it pertains to having a popped tire or engine problems.

Are you allowed to stay double parked with your hazards on until the town truck comes ?

Best,

Illan

OHRoadwarrior

Standard laws appear to apply. The parking authority advises you have the vehicle towed without delay.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/publications/publications_towing.shtml

4-08 a(8) Disabled vehicles.
A vehicle that becomes disabled must be pushed to the side of the road
so that it obstructs traffic as little as possible, and must be removed expeditiously.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/trafrule.pdf

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you received a parking ticket then you can have it adjudicated and it would be up to a judge to decide what's what.

Generally, if you provide a tow receipt and a repair bill showing that the vehicle was towed and that it did, in fact, have a mechanical failure resulting in it being immobilized then the charge would likely be dismissed - but there is no guarantee.

You Are Guilty

While that is what is supposed to happen, remember, it's still the PVB.

Data point: many moons ago, I had a breakdown in a traffic lane right next to a bus stop. Rather than chance it, I decided to push the car to the next available space instead of the bus stop. A brownie who was meandering by saw me struggling and actually stopped to help push.

Once at the curb, he promptly wrote me a "No Standing" ticket.

sigh

You Are Guilty

I think it was something like $35-$40 back then, and risking my life getting to the Jamaica PVB office over $40 wasn't worth it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, pleading guilty is the equivalent of being found guilty after a trial, so then you WERE guilty... ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">