• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car in driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Illinois 008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I live in midlothian Illinois and police are telling me I can't have my vehicle in the driveway because it's not registered an I got the motor pulled . Is that right? I have a tarp over it ....so please help

justalayman

So far, I have found this, which states you cannot have an unlicensed vehicle in your driveway.

10-11-1: VEHICLE LICENSE REQUIRED:

It shall be unlawful to operate, nor shall any owner permit to be operated upon a highway, street or alley in this municipality, any motor vehicle or motorbike, unless said motor vehicle or motorbike is licensed by a municipality or county where the owner legally resides, unless the municipality or county does not require such a license, or if said vehicle is leased or company owned, it must be licensed to where the vehicle is registered. Any vehicle parked on any highway, street, alley, driveway, parking lot, or property within the village shall be presumed to have been operated upon the highway, street or alley by the owner of the vehicle. A license is required for all vehicles, including vehicles used for rental or lease. A Midlothian vehicle sticker must be obtained and displayed within thirty (30) days of purchase of said vehicle by a Midlothian resident or within thirty (30) days after a new resident moves into the village of Midlothian. This section does not apply to any municipal, county, state or federal vehicles. (Ord. 1511, 6-27-2001)
I have not found anything concerning the fact you are working on the vehicle that would cause that to be a problem.

Yes, I realize it is not driveable but the law does not seem to be concerned with that.

do you have a back yard?

CdwJava

There may be relevant state laws concerning hazards, or maybe a local ordinance that covers this.

If cited, then you will know what the section is that they are citing. Or, you can ask the officer or agency for what section you might be in violation of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">