• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car given away, but not gone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ooops lost the text

I had to depart quickly for Utah. A family emergency called me away. Since I was fairly sure I would never be able to leave again...I gave away my car while I was still in Delaware. The car is a 1991 Toyota, with 320K miles....it really has not value.

I signed over the title when I left. The fellow I gave it to was going down to FL and would turn in the plates and register it.

It has been 3 weeks...he has not done this.

I called to find out what was happening, and now he tells me that he cannot register the car because his license is suspended for failing to pay the insurance on his old car. GEEZ...I cannot have him driving a car that is registered in my name when I know he has no valid license!!!

When I called him back to find out what he is doing and when he is going to get it done (I was going to tell him to pull the plates and mail them back to the DMV in FL)...anyway..his phone has been disconnected.

I know that when he is in FL he rents at various addresses...but I also know he hasnt been back there since last summer. He has no address in Delaware/Maryland.

How do I solve this? I cannot leave Utah. Both of my parents are completely disabled...and there is no money to pay for 24/7 care which they both require.

Help

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How could you give your car to someone WITH the plates on it? Sounds like you're pretty much screwed now. I hope you don't still have the car insured.

How completely useless

DUH. How rude of you.

That is the extent of your knowledge?

Why bother to respond since you have no ideas whatsoever on how this might get solved?

Well, the only possible reason for such a nasty response is because you have nothing better to do with your time.

I have found in life that all the nasty stuff you drop on someone else will always come back to you in full.

quincy

... I have found in life that all the nasty stuff you drop on someone else will always come back to you in full.
I guess you should be prepared for some nasty stuff to drop on you then, katiekate. ;)

When you are asking for help from others, it is smart to treat nicely ALL of those willing to help you, whether you find what they offer helpful or not.

Contact the DMV and tell them of the sale.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">