• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Impounded for parking more than 72 hours in the same street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dealfinder10

What is the name of your state? Burbank, California

My car had radiator leak and battery died, so i parked next to my house. After a month, i had a warning notice to remove vehicle because the vehicle is parked in the same place for more than 72 hours, so i called AAA and jump started and moved to a different spot on the same street. But agan the battery died. So i was planning to donate the car instead of fixing it. it has 185K miles . even if i sell i could make $500 to $750 .

Now should i release from the impound or leave it there and not bother to pay the fine.
The car is not registered it been on non operational.

Please advice.

Thanks

JETX

dealfinder10 said:
Now should i release from the impound or leave it there and not bother to pay the fine.
How should we know what you should do??
Your question has NO legal issues... and is simply your personal decision.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
After a certain amount of time, they will sell it for whatever they can get. If it's not enough to cover the impound fees, they will go after you for the balance.

CdwJava

Yep.

After 31 days the tow yard will begin the lien sale proceedings. If the proceeds from the lien sale do not cover their impound fees, they can and will go after the registered owner for the balance.

- Carl

CdwJava

dealfinder10 said:
Thanks.,

but the car is no longer registered. Wil they still come after me.

Thanks
The last registered owner or PNO on file will be you unless you sold the car ... they will come after you.

- Carl

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
dealfinder10 said:
Thanks.,

but the car is no longer registered. Wil they still come after me.

Thanks
Maybe an easier way to think of it is that the car IS registered, it's just not CURRENT

Look at it this way. A PNO vehicle is not allowed to be parked on the street. You could have received a ticket for that on top of the tow. How much are we talking about in fees so far?

CdwJava

tryingtoplease said:
Look at it this way. A PNO vehicle is not allowed to be parked on the street. You could have received a ticket for that on top of the tow. How much are we talking about in fees so far?
I'm guessing that was why it was ultimately towed. if the towing authority was given as CVC 22651(o) then that was the reason.

- Carl

CdwJava said:
I'm guessing that was why it was ultimately towed. if the towing authority was given as CVC 22651(o) then that was the reason.

- Carl
Hey, I got one right! :eek: Of course I could have added that I know this from personal experience. Gulp. Should have read the back of that dang DMV registration.

dealfinder10

Thanks for all the replies!!!

I called the cops, they said they can only release the car, if i provide valid regisrtation.
Then i called the towing guys, and told them i was planning to donate the car. What options i have, they said, i can surrender the title and pay $96 for towing charges.
( the total impound fee is $216 ) . If i have to release i need to register the car and then pay the impound fee.

REg the Car, its 1989 Toyota Camery with 187K miles and now has radiator leak, battery died, brakes needs to be replaced , and lots of Rust above the wheels .
I didnt know i shouldn't park outside if its not registered.

So i will go ahead and pay the towing charge and surrender the Tittle .

Is there anything else i need to do when i surrender the title.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!!!1

CdwJava

Well, you mentioned that it had been "on non operational" - I presume that to mean that you registered it with a PNO (permit of Non-Operation). On that document it specifically says that the vehicle is not to be on the public roadway until it is lawfully registered.

But, in any event, now ya know. Any vehicle with registration expeired for more than 6 months is towable, as are vehicles parked and inoperable on the roadway for more than 72 or 120 hours (depending on whatever city of county ordinance is in effect ... most are 72 but some - like mine - are 120).

- Carl

CdwJava

Six Black Roses said:
Isn't PNO supposed to stand for planned non-operation?
Yes. Same difference. It's technically a "certificate of planned non-operation" (the REG 102 form).

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">