• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Towed for being too close to hydrant in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monasutras

What is the name of your state?I live in Brooklyn New York. In my neighborhood they have recently gone on a towing rampage. Parking is extremely difficult where I live, and therefore someone is always getting towed. MY main problem is that no one ever just gets a ticket anymore, you get a $115 ticket AND THEN they tow your car immediatly.
My most recent experience happened this morning, I parked my car last night approx 15 feet from a fire hydrant. I did not use a tape measure, but the car was visibley the proper distance from the hydrant. I wake up this morning and the car is gone. I have no idea why this could possibley be, and when I get it out of the tow pound (costs $185) I look at the ticket ($115) and it says I was parked 5 feet from the pump. Now I know for a fact that this is not true, but I have no way to prove it since they towed the car away.

What can I do? Are there any regulations on when a vehicle can be towed?
Basically is there any way for me to fight this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Liz

pati_nade

Hey

That is annoying that they tow immediately now. I live in the city and my car was towed at exactly the same time as the ticket was written. Anyway, I went to dispute a tow charge/ticket once in court and they reduced it to 50% just for showing up. They wouldn't hear me out though, you have to show up, wait for 2-3 hours, then they tell you the new reduced fine and then you have to schedule another date to appear to have your case heard. It wasn't worth waiting two more hours on another day for me to get rid of a now $35 charge, principle or no principle. I paid and left.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">