• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Towed from Hotel Parking Lot With No Warning Signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unitedbit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I recently had my car towed from a local Holiday Inn where I was not a guest. I parked there around 11:30pm and the tow took place at 3:00AM. Upon briefly looking at Texas tow laws and regulations it seems as though signs must be placed in the entrance/exit of the lot. This Holiday Inn however has no signage whatsoever on the property in reference to towing. I had to call the hotel directly and be given a phone number to the tow company since no such information is posted. The only signs on the property and parking lot are ones that mention locking your car and hiding valuables. My vehicle was parked in a single space not obstructing anything and was amongst dozens of others cars parked similarly as well . I understand that I have 14 days to file an appeal and have my case heard before a judge. Due to the fact that there is no signage mentioning towing does the constitute an illegal tow according to Texas law?

The laws http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/towinglaw.htm#2308301
Except as provided by Subsection (a)(2)(B) and Section 2308.304 or 2308.305, an unauthorized vehicle may not be towed under Section 2308.252(a)(1) or booted under Section 2308.257 unless a sign prohibiting unauthorized vehicles on a parking facility is:

(1) facing and conspicuously visible to the driver of a vehicle that enters the facility;
(2) located:
(A) on the right or left side of each driveway or curb-cut through which a vehicle can enter the facility, including an entry from an alley abutting the facility; or
(B) at intervals along the entrance so that no entrance is farther than 25 feet from a sign if:
(i) curbs, access barriers, landscaping, or driveways do not establish definite vehicle entrances onto a parking facility from a public roadway other than an alley; and
(ii) the width of an entrance exceeds 35 feet;

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">