• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car towed from store without cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charlie15

I live in Ohio and today a friend had their car towed while they were shopping inside a store. Apparently, the owner of the property also has a tow business and targets students who park their cars in his lot and then go to class. The only problem is my friend was actually shopping in the store and did nothing wrong. Obviously the tow company took no care in making sure that they were actually towing a car that was in violation. As a result, they had to drive my friend across town to where the vehicle was parked and she was late for work. Are their any state laws that prevent private towing companies from just going around and towing vehicles? It seems like this company just chose a random car and towed it away. I'm trying to find relevant regulations etc. that govern how private towing companies have to act on commercial property. Thank You.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Alot of these rules and regulations are municipality specific. Your friend may want to check with the local police agency.

Your friend can also find out what authority, if any, regulates towing businesses and make an inquiry with that agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">