• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car towed/Tow sign obscured by tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bradaaron

What is the name of your state? Oregon.

I was parked in a parking lot for an apartment complex that has an agreement with a towing company in which the towing company can patrol their lot and tow cars that are not supposed to be there. The sign that they have posted at the entrance of the parking lot is not visable to someone who pulls in and parks in the first few parking places (which is exactly what I did.) It has a newly planted tree in front of it. It would be visable to cars that turn and park further down.

I have looked up the portland laws on signage. In the Administrative Rule 014.03-1 Under Signage 1 g. it states "be maintaned as to remain unobstructed by any tree, shrub, bush, vehicle or other obstacle"

I told the person who towed me that, he kind of laughed, and said that no one has ever got their money back from his company.

What steps should I go about to get my money back? Or maybe better asked, does it sound like I can get my money back? He took a photo of the sign from an angle where you can see it clearly, but you can see that the tree is in front of it.

-Brad

seniorjudge

bradaaron said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon.

I was parked in a parking lot for an apartment complex that has an agreement with a towing company in which the towing company can patrol their lot and tow cars that are not supposed to be there. The sign that they have posted at the entrance of the parking lot is not visable to someone who pulls in and parks in the first few parking places (which is exactly what I did.) It has a newly planted tree in front of it. It would be visable to cars that turn and park further down.

I have looked up the portland laws on signage. In the Administrative Rule 014.03-1 Under Signage 1 g. it states "be maintaned as to remain unobstructed by any tree, shrub, bush, vehicle or other obstacle"

I told the person who towed me that, he kind of laughed, and said that no one has ever got their money back from his company.

What steps should I go about to get my money back? Or maybe better asked, does it sound like I can get my money back? He took a photo of the sign from an angle where you can see it clearly, but you can see that the tree is in front of it.

-Brad
Q: What steps should I go about to get my money back?

A: File a lawsuit in small claims court.

Q: Or maybe better asked, does it sound like I can get my money back?

A: No.

OregonLawyer

Don't be so sure. Predatory towing is very common in the Portland area, and there are laws and rules to prevent it. What happened to you is called a "PPI," or "private property impound." Take a picture of the sign covered up. Then call the Portland Towing Coordinator, Marian Gaylord, (503) 823-5146. If she can't help you, there are some lawyers I know who love suing towing companies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">