• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Challenging temp at all times no parking signs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

About 2 blocks from my house a bunch of no parking signs went up around private homes. The no parking signs are not for street construction etc but to let movie industry park their trucks as they are renting a home for movie shoot nearby. Normally I would not even think about if a no parking sign can be challenge as it usually for good reason. However this is for beneficial of private industry.

My question is could residence actually challenge this signs or can city basically issue no parking signs to let movie trucks parking in front of people house with no recourse? This is not for 1 or 2 days but seems like for a good week and maybe longer.

justalayman

Normally I would not even think about if a no parking sign can be challenge as it usually for good reason. However this is for beneficial of private industry.
I am sure your local government sees it as not benefiting the movie crew as much as it benefits the citizens of your community. That is fresh money to your community.

anyway; yes, they can do that

randomguy

I am sure your local government sees it as not benefiting the movie crew as much as it benefits the citizens of your community. That is fresh money to your community.

anyway; yes, they can do that
Can you challenge it by taking it to court? I understand what the city see it as. But say you have big house(this houses are big) and have 5 cars and there is no way you can park all of them without having to parking somewhere else.

justalayman

most likely not. Parking regs are generally set by the local authorities and unless you can find what they are doing is actually illegal per some local or state law, basically they can allow whatever they want. Since it is public property, you have no standing to sue because you, as an individual have not lost anything.

randomguy

most likely not. Parking regs are generally set by the local authorities and unless you can find what they are doing is actually illegal per some local or state law, basically they can allow whatever they want. Since it is public property, you have no standing to sue because you, as an individual have not lost anything.
Interesting that you can't challenge someone parking in front of your own house for a week because of special no parking signs courtesy of a city. Yes I totally understand that it's public property but still sounds very wrong without being compensated. I guess you can always try running sprinklers and hope that water being sent in to people face/equipment is enough to get them to move the trucks :D

Edit:I guess this is one benefit of home association and i thought there was no good reason for them to exist. :D

justalayman

You have no legal claim to the parking space in front of your house. The city has no obligation to provide parking in front of your house.

Isis1

Not sure if you are aware of this, but depending on your neighborhood, the city OWNS the street.

GoIllini

This sounds like something to calm down a little over first (not because you're coming off angry but because you don't want to risk looking that way) and take to the next city council meeting and/or call your alderman with. Just ask them what benefits the city is getting from reserving these spots for movie trucks and when homeowners will be allowed to park in front of their own homes again. Ideally bring two or three neighbors with you. Be nice about it, but don't be afraid to ask the uncomfortable question.

Who knows- they might give you guys permits to park there next to the movie trucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">