• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with NJSA 39:3C-10 Notice of Change of Address - What is the penalty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MagnifyMobile

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Today I received a ticket because I did not change my address fast enough. Here is the text of the statute:

39:3C-10 Change of address, public awareness campaign.

10. a. It shall be the duty of every owner holding a certificate of registration to notify the commission, in writing, of any change of residence of such person within one week after the change occurs.

b.The chief administrator shall establish a public awareness campaign to inform the general public about the importance of maintaining a current address with the commission.

L.1973, c.307, s.10; amended 2007, c.281, s.1; 2009, c.275, s.10.

It says I have to appear in court. For the life of me I cannot find how much the fine is for this. I want to have the money ready when I go to court instead of being hit with a surprise.

On top of that I am confused about as to how the above could be proven. At no point was the officer given any information as to how long I have lived where I was, this was a ticket issued on the side of the road and I never stated where I was currently living. Doesn't the state have the burden of proof? If I go to court and choose to remain silent how would they prove this? I'm thinking the fine would not even be that much so will probably just cut my losses and pay it, and I am getting my address updated tomorrow.

MagnifyMobile

I looked at that document but can't find that specific statute.

Even if I do find it, thinking of pleading not guilty and remaining silent. I am curious as to how someone would prove in court that I committed this offense, if they have no way of knowing how long I have been at my new address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">