• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chicago: Expired scooter plates while parked on grass parkway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thirdshiftdave

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I just got a ticket ( $120!) for having plates expired 8-06 on a 125CC scooter. It was parked on the grass in the parkway in front of my house. The reason I didn't renew the stupid plates is because it's not running so my question is, can they ticket in the grass like that or does the vehicle have to be on the street? They slapped me with a $50 city sticker ticket as well. The scooter itself only cost me $300, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

CdwJava

What is a "parkway" in Illinois? If it is a part of the roadway or public property, then they could cite for it with no problem.

I cannot find the defintion for "parkway" in the ILCS Vehicle Code.

- Carl

Last edited:

xylene

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I just got a ticket ( $120!) for having plates expired 8-06 on a 125CC scooter. It was parked on the grass in the parkway in front of my house. The reason I didn't renew the stupid plates is because it's not running so my question is, can they ticket in the grass like that or does the vehicle have to be on the street? They slapped me with a $50 city sticker ticket as well. The scooter itself only cost me $300, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dave
In this case, you need plates and city sticker on any vehicle that is accessible to the roadway.

If the vehicle was in a garage or in a fenced yard, then you would have a case.

You must maintain your registration/plates and city sticker on a vehicle operational or not.

That requirement is to provide an incentive for people to not leave inoperative vehicles laying around.

Guesstimating from having spent some time in Chicago I believe the poster is taking about the grass strip that runs in between of the driveway and the road. (in lots of Chicago neighborhoods the driveways are parrallel to the roadway, kind of like a mini service road.) Thats just my take.

Last edited:

efflandt

Does Chicago let you park a vehicle on the tree bank? Elgin, IL outlawed parking on the front lawn (I guess they consider it too redneck). If your vehicle was on the public property (between sidewalk and street) they could certainly give you a ticket for expired registration, and for city sticker if within sight of a public area (or if registered in the city and no record of one).

If the scooter was inoperable it should have been put in an enclosed area or disposed of.

thirdshiftdave

Sorry, yes the parkway is the grass between the sidewalk and the street. Looks like I'm probably out of luck, thanks for your replies. Maybe I'll contest them anyway just to make them wait as long as possible for their money. That'll show em. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">