• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chicago: Parking Ticket for Permit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrUnknown

Illinios: Chicago

I just got a notice in the mail for a ticket that was issued on 12/04/06
I never got the ticket?
Well it is suppose to be for:
"Residential Permit Parking"

I am not a resident of Chicago, but am I a student who goes to UIC, so I live in downtown.
I use the GUEST/Temporary parking permit. Each one lasts 24 hrs. Everyday I put up a new one. I checked my car, and i saw i have a sticker for 12/04/06.
I keep the stickers for a month and then dispose them.

The only reason I can think of the reason behind the ticket is that I usually dont stick the stickers on my windshield. It ruins the whole windshield making it greasy, with some small amount of paper sticky when you remove it.
If its like a city sticker i would do and then remove it with a solution. Since I have to put one up everyday, I just put them on the right side of my windshield on the right end corner of the dashboard!
Thatz the only reason i can think, that the person who was checking for the permits missed my sticker as it was not STUCK/TAPED/GLUED on the windshield, but it was just placed on the right far end corner on the dash!
I have done that for about 2 semesters, and never gotten a ticket for this.
I have gotten ticket b4, for someone removing/peeling off my number plate sticker, i sent them a copy of the proof of my purchase and it was removed.

But any idea if I can contest this one? or will i just have to pay it?

Last edited:

wirry1422

Check off the box marked "contest by mail" on both the letter and the return envelope. Enclose a clear photocopy of the temporary residential parking pass along with a detailed letter giving the explaination you just gave us, but in a much more formal way. Write the complete ticket number on the photocopy and the letter. Do all of this ASAP and mail the letter in on Tuesday. do not delay. I'd say you've got a 50/50 shot at winning. You'll receive a confirmation of receipt letter within two weeks, but you won't receive a decision letter for a minimum of three to four months (but at least you won't have to worry about paying for a while.) If you do end up loosing in four months or whatever, just make sure you pay within three weeks of getting the denial letter or the ticket amount will double. And even if you do lose, it's certainly not the end of the world as the fine is only $50. But then again, being on a student's budget, it just might be the end of the world.

patstew

Illinios: Chicago
I am not a resident of Chicago, but am I a student who goes to UIC, so I live in downtown.
Ergo, you are a resident, no?

I use the GUEST/Temporary parking permit. Each one lasts 24 hrs. Everyday I put up a new one.
Where are you getting these daily parking permits? This sounds wierd to me.

Face your fears.
Live your dreams.

xylene

Ergo, you are a resident, no?
Not sure. That depends on more facts than was presented. If anything a resident permit would be cheaper than buying the daily passes for guests.

QUOTE]Where are you getting these daily parking permits? This sounds wierd to me.[/QUOTE]

Probaly at the parking office, a police station, or an number of other vendors in the Chicago area.

Nothing 'wierd' about it. You need a permit to park in Chicago.

MrUnknown

The reason why i m using the daily permits is cuz they are a lot cheaper.
i would happily go and buy one of those 6 months stickers, but i need to be living in chicago and have a governmet bill or some other document in order to get that permit sticker.

first of all i need a city sticker which is like $75.
then a zone sticker which is another $30-35

i would pay that atleast i dont have to worry putting up a new daily permit everyday... but i dont stay in dorms, i change my apt once in a while and then its a big pain to get the new bills and get the new address registered and stuff like that and then get the city sticker.

wirry1422

The other posters obviously don't live in Chicago, I do. Follow my instructions above LIKE RIGHT NOW and you'll give yourself a fair shot at saving some money, which i'm sure you could use. And you're technically not doing anything wrong by using those daily permits on a daily basis (just mount them correctly on the lower passenger side windshield). And if you're returning to school next school year, the cost for a permit, which lasts a full year from 07/01/2007 to 06/30/2008 is $75 for the city sticker and $25 for the residential pass (you have to buy the former to buy the latter, and yes indeed, the latter requires proof of residency within the zone). Total= $100

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">