• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Citation on non working car still valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hars

Hi....I got correction citation for non working license plate bulb on March 14th and was asked to appear in traffic court on May 24th. But before I fix license plate bulb , my car's engine gave up last week and now we are donating car in coming two weeks. So I am not sure how to proceed with this situation and if citation still hold valid as car doesn't work anymore.Please guide.

Thanks

Hi....I got correction citation for non working license plate bulb on March 14th and was asked to appear in traffic court on May 24th. But before I fix license plate bulb , my car's engine gave up last week and now we are donating car in coming two weeks. So I am not sure how to proceed with this situation and if citation still hold valid as car doesn't work anymore.Please guide.

Thanks
The citation was valid at the time and still is. You got it before the motor went out. Take the citation with you. You did donate it to charity right? They might write the ticket off.
Good luck.

.._______________________________
~ Diligence is a very great help,
even to a mediocre intelligence. ~ Seneca

Last edited:

hars

The citation was valid at the time and still is. You got it before the motor went out. Take the citation with you. You did donate it to charity right? They might write the ticket off.
Good luck.

.._______________________________
~ Diligence is a very great help,
even to a mediocre intelligence. ~ Seneca
Thanks. I haven't donated car to charity yet since pink slip is missing and process would take 2 weeks. Correction - my court date is on April 24th (next tuesday). I am in dilemma if I should still get correction done or just inform court about my car situation since I don't have any written proof.

LdiJ

Thanks. I haven't donated car to charity yet since pink slip is missing and process would take 2 weeks. Correction - my court date is on April 24th (next tuesday). I am in dilemma if I should still get correction done or just inform court about my car situation since I don't have any written proof.
I assume that this is a fix it ticket? If it is, what is cheaper...to pay the cost of fixing the bulb issue or to pay the full non fixed ticket price? You can certainly let the court know that you are in the process of donating the car and will no longer own it, but if it will only cost you a few bucks to replace the bulb it might be wiser to just fix it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I assume that this is a fix it ticket? If it is, what is cheaper...to pay the cost of fixing the bulb issue or to pay the full non fixed ticket price? You can certainly let the court know that you are in the process of donating the car and will no longer own it, but if it will only cost you a few bucks to replace the bulb it might be wiser to just fix it.
I agree. I don't see a state listed, but the only difficulty the OP may have is getting the correction signed off.

davew128

I wouldn't disagree but I think the OP is going to have difficulty in getting an officer at the court to sign off on the fix, given that the engine gave out and its not likely he's going to have the car towed there. ;)

hars

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I finally got receipt for fixed license plate bulb and cost was reasonable. I believe this would work best :)
State : CA

Zigner

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I finally got receipt for fixed license plate bulb and cost was reasonable. I believe this would work best :)
State : CA
You will need to have an officer sign off showing that the repair was made. Contact the PD local to where the car is and see if there is any chance (pretty-please) that an officer would be able to stop by if they just happened to be in the neighborhood with nothing better to do...

hars

You will need to have an officer sign off showing that the repair was made. Contact the PD local to where the car is and see if there is any chance (pretty-please) that an officer would be able to stop by if they just happened to be in the neighborhood with nothing better to do...
Alright.I haven't been to court ever.So wondering what happens when I submit document of correction to judge/clerk ,will officer who issued me ticket be there? Would he be signing my ticket. I am not very sure how this whole process works.

Zigner

Alright.I haven't been to court ever.So wondering what happens when I submit document of correction to judge/clerk ,will officer who issued me ticket be there? Would he be signing my ticket. I am not very sure how this whole process works.
Once you have the correction signed off, it should be just a matter of visiting the clerk to turn in the proof of correction and pay the small administrative fee (the last I heard it was $25).

hars

Once you have the correction signed off, it should be just a matter of visiting the clerk to turn in the proof of correction and pay the small administrative fee (the last I heard it was $25).
I see.I saw sheriff yesterday and he refused to sign ticket since he wanted to see vehicle which is fair enough.I did inform him that I am waiting for pink slip to arrive to donate the car as it doesn't work anymore.I am asked to submit proof of donation by May 31st once I am done with donation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">