• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Decal Statute Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparky91

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

City Code: City of Fairfax

I got a ticket from the City of Fairfax for not having a City decal on my vehicle. I don't understand this statute though. Is it saying that if I bring satisfactory evidence to court that I have obtained the decal that my ticket will be dropped?
If I just sign the ticket and send it in, will I be guilty of a Class 4 Misdemeanor?
I'm trying to decide whether to contest it because the fine is $50 but if I lose then I also have to pay $61 in court costs. While this might not seem like a lot to you, I'm a very broke college student and I'd rather not have a misdemeanor on my record.

This is the statute:

Sec. 98-149. - Parking vehicles on streets without proper display of city license (decal).

Vehicles subject to the provisions of article III of this chapter must display a valid city license (decal) when parked on city streets. Violations of this section shall be a class 4 misdemeanor; provided, however, that violations of this section shall not be discharged by payment of a fine except upon presentation of satisfactory evidence that the required license has been obtained.

(Code 1978, § 13-37.1)
Cross reference— Streets, sidewalks and other public places, ch. 82.

State law reference— Failure to display license, Code of Virginia, § 46.2-752.

-----------------------------------------

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you,
-Sparky

FlyingRon

You misread the statute. It says you can't just pay the fine unless you also show you have purchased the sticker. The sticker of course, properly identifies you as being subject to the personal property tax.

sparky91

Well that's strange, because the ticket says I can sign the back (plead guilty) and send a check. Nowhere does it mention anything above proving that I now have the decal.

In your opinion, is it worth contesting this? Or do I have almost no chance of winning?

Thanks!

FlyingRon

Well that's strange, because the ticket says I can sign the back (plead guilty) and send a check. Nowhere does it mention anything above proving that I now have the decal.

In your opinion, is it worth contesting this? Or do I have almost no chance of winning?

Thanks!
As I pointed out, I think you're bumping into a bit of an anachronism. It used to be they used the decals to make sure you paid your property tax. This is by and large gone by the wayside (in fact, many jurisdictions in Virginia have abandoned the decal process entirely) now that the counties/independent cities can get the DMV to squat on your registration renewal when you don't pay the tax.

Of course, absent a Fairfax City decal, you're still going to get tickets for parking.

Your only defense to this is that you live in some other jurisdiction (and pay the personal property tax there).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">