• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Suddenly Trying to Collect on 10-15 yr Old Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I recently received a letter stating that I owe $350 ($150 in tickets, $200 in interest charges) in parking tickets allegedly occurring from 1999-2004. I have never seen anything about these tickets and never received any communication regarding them until about a month ago. Apparently the state recently upgraded its IT systems and is sending these letters out to hundreds of people.

I called an asked for validation of the debt and was sent screenshots showing the ticket information. I requested copies of the tickets but was not provided actual copies. Further, the information fields in the screen shot include a place to record a Location and a Meter Number. These fields are blank.

My question is: what would be the best way to contest these tickets? Does the fact that they do not have copies of the original tickets and the information they have does not include a location or a meter number help my case?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I recently received a letter stating that I owe $350 ($150 in tickets, $200 in interest charges) in parking tickets allegedly occurring from 1999-2004. I have never seen anything about these tickets and never received any communication regarding them until about a month ago. Apparently the state recently upgraded its IT systems and is sending these letters out to hundreds of people.

I called an asked for validation of the debt and was sent screenshots showing the ticket information. I requested copies of the tickets but was not provided actual copies. Further, the information fields in the screen shot include a place to record a Location and a Meter Number. These fields are blank.

My question is: what would be the best way to contest these tickets? Does the fact that they do not have copies of the original tickets and the information they have does not include a location or a meter number help my case?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Who says those aren't copies of the original tickets that have been stored electronically? I note that you are not denying ever receiving tickets.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Who says those aren't copies of the original tickets that have been stored electronically? I note that you are not denying ever receiving tickets.
The OP does state "I have never seen anything about these tickets..."

racer72

Time to contest the tickets is long gone. Not having copies of tickets is irrelevant. About all you can do no is pay, you should have thought of the consequences when you blew off the tickets years ago.

LdiJ

Time to contest the tickets is long gone. Not having copies of tickets is irrelevant. About all you can do no is pay, you should have thought of the consequences when you blew off the tickets years ago.
Again, assuming that these are valid, unpaid tickets and not some glitch due to the upgrade of the city's IT systems.
Mistakes are not uncommon when IT systems are upgraded.

swalsh411

OP needs to clarify whether these are valid tickets that he just ignored and assumed went bye-bye or if these are tickets he had no knowledge of whatsoever until last month.

justalayman

and depending on how Colorado deals with parking tickets, OP might want to check to be sure their license is not suspended or maybe even an arrest warrant outstanding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">