• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

County decal citation $100???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ksuyzdl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, I've just got a Loudoun county (VA) decal citation this morning, for "Loudoun expired" "Park Permit Displayed 2010". The amount is $100. This is the first year I'm living in Virginia and I thought I had to wait a whole year to pay new Loudoun decal, like car registration.... My question is: If I go to buy a 2011 decal today, how much chance do I have to reduce my fine? If so, what should I do? Go to the court and plead guilty? I mean, if it is $25, then I will pay it without asking. But $100??? It seems too greedy....

Thanks a lot!

FlyingRon

Huh?

You do not have a year for either your county decal or your car registration.
Since the decal fee is $25, there wouldn't be much point in assessing a fine that wasn't worse than obeying the law.

I'd get that car registered (and your driver's license) as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wait a second. You had a sticker that said it expired in 2010 and you can say with a straight-face that you thought it DIDN'T expire in 2010? Incredible.

FlyingRon

Wait a second. You had a sticker that said it expired in 2010 and you can say with a straight-face that you thought it DIDN'T expire in 2010? Incredible.
The 2011 Loudoun decal, in fact, needed to be on the car by November 15, 2010. Unlike the car registration which bears a month and a year (and it's date it expires). And if you relocate to Loudoun you have 60 days to get the decal.

Fairfax gave up on the decals. They just have the state put a hold on your registration if you don't pay the car tax (but mind you we still pay the $25 decal fee).

Last edited:

HomeGuru

The 2011 Loudoun decal, in fact, needed to be on the car by November 15, 2011. Unlike the car registration which bears a month and a year (and it's date it expires). And if you relocate to Loudoun you have 60 days to get the decal.

Fairfax gave up on the decals. They just have the state put a hold on your registration if you don't pay the car tax (but mind you we still pay the $25 decal fee).
**A: in that case, Nov 2011 is a long way from now.

Ksuyzdl

Thank you very much for your kind replies, FlyingRon.

Zigner, I admit that I made a mistake. But I can tell in a straight face that I thought I wouldn't need to bother with Loudoun decal within a year since I last put the sticker on my windowshield, because I have no reason to lie when I'm asking for help on internet. I feel sorry if you think that people have to lie to you.

I came from Florida, where we don't pay county or city tax for cars, and neither do we have to do annual check or emission check. So the only thing we have in our mind is to renew our registration once a year before birthday.

Update on my original post: I just got back from county treasure office and they told me that I've paid my 2011 decal fee several months ago, which I got totally confused of, because I only remember that I've paid car tax to Loudoun county, and didn't know that meant I had a new decal. Later on, my 2011 decal was lost in mail, so I had no idea that I had paid the decal fee. But it's good that I didn't owe any money. I've put the replaced decal on my car and called the number on my citation. The lady was nice enough to change my citation into warning.

So, thanks to everybody who gave me kind suggestions.

The 2011 Loudoun decal, in fact, needed to be on the car by November 15, 2011. Unlike the car registration which bears a month and a year (and it's date it expires). And if you relocate to Loudoun you have 60 days to get the decal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">