• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing intersection on green light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerrys13

What is the name of your state? CA (Los Angeles)

21456. Whenever a pedestrian control signal showing the words "WALK" or "WAIT" or "DON'T WALK" or other approved symbol is in place, the signal shall indicate as follows:

(a) "WALK" or approved "Walking Person" symbol. A pedestrian facing the signal may proceed across the roadway in the direction of the signal, but shall yield the right-of-way to vehicles lawfully within the intersection at the time that signal is first shown.

(b) Flashing or steady "DON'T WALK" or "WAIT" or approved "Upraised Hand" symbol. No pedestrian shall start to cross the roadway in the direction of the signal, but any pedestrian who has partially completed crossing shall proceed to a sidewalk or safety zone or otherwise leave the roadway while the "WAIT" or "DON'T WALK" or approved "Upraised Hand" symbol is showing.

I crossed an intersection on foot at a green light on my way to work. I was informed by a local policeman that I was in violation of the law. I was amazed and, as a result, did not do the best job defending myself. "It was green..." wasn't the best defense in hind sight. Honestly though, I didn't look at the pedestrian light immediately before entering the intersection and even if I had I doubt I would have stopped. I thought a flashing red hand meant caution. I made it across the intersection safely (and, if I remember correctly, on green). I guess there have been some pedestrian accidents lately so they are cracking down. I am a very law abiding citizen (55 on freeway, etc.) and would not have behaved the same way if I knew it was illegal so I am frustrated.

What's been done has been done. What's the best approach at this point? The cop wrote down a wrong address (my driver's license has my old address and he did not ask if it was current) and wrote down the wrong age (he miscalculated it in his head). Neither of those appear to invalidate the ticket to me. Should I go to court? Can the fine increase by asking for a trial? I'm not concerned about the time because LA has night court. What are the odds the cop shows up? If he does show up, what should I do? Do I take the "I walk to work everyday and know when I can safely cross without interfering with traffic. I didn't know it is illegal to cross on a flashing red hand." approach? Seems like admitting wrong doing is the end of the game for me. I should have tried that one when it happened. What about asking how certain the cop was that the light was flashing when I entered the intersection? Could it have been walk when I entered and then changed to flashing red hand? Seems like he'd say he's 100% sure that it was illegal or else he wouldn't have issued the ticket and at that point, I'm just standing there looking like a moron. Any other approaches?

Please advise!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">