• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CSULA University Parking Citation wrongly given

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katsushi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

I have been trying to obtain information of surveillance cameras from my university, Cal State Los Angeles, to prove a parking citation given to me is invalid. A parking citation was given to me at a time I did not use my car, however the ticket has all the correct information that describes my car. I live on campus and my car is always sitting in the housing parking lot undisturbed. I have attempted inquiring about the cameras, however personnel from the public safety department told me that access to security camera usage is for crimes only.

My question is, do I have the right to get access to view the surveillance cameras? I also wanted to know if my university would be considered a public or private entity.

I am currently in the in hearing administrative appeal process of my citation and I am trying my best to obtain any information to prove my innocence. I have asked about proof regarding photos, protocols, and have asked staff personnel ranging from the warden commanding officer, parking management, supervisors, etc, but I am getting nowhere. I have no other options to disprove the validity of the ticket besides security cameras, because my roommate was not there to confirm my presence at the dorms at the time of the violation

Thank you for your time.

Katsushi

Why do you think the footage you are requesting even exists?
There is 24-hour surveillance in dorms covering the area and parking lot. There are cameras in the area of the location of the violation. The personnel I have asked, confirmed their existence and how long data is kept (30-60 days).

tranquility

I don't think you get subpoena powers for an infraction. I suppose you could pay and then sue in real court (not small claims) and get discovery, but simply filing would probably cost more than the fee. I don't think you will get the tape.

Katsushi

I don't think you get subpoena powers for an infraction. I suppose you could pay and then sue in real court (not small claims) and get discovery, but simply filing would probably cost more than the fee. I don't think you will get the tape.
Thanks your for your input.

It seems like there is no hope for me and it has been a major problem fighting this parking citation with no evidence to provide. Only thing I can do when I enter my administrative hearing, is to ask them for proof (unlikely to happen).

It's discouraging, but I can't let this citation go, because I know I did not commit the parking violation. I live on campus and my car remains in the housing parking everyday unless I decide to go to the market. I received the citation in the morning at a red zone loading/meter area at my campus, but I never used my car until the afternoon to go to work...

sigh....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">