• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter Victim of Shake-down?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SUEG657

I reside in Kentucky, where my 18 year old daughter attends the University of Louisville. She had left her dorm this morning to run to the store and realized she had left a book she needed in her room. When she pulled into the parking area, all the spots were full except for the "loading/unloading spot" where she and her friends have always pulled into if they just need to run in for a few minutes. When she came out (less than 15 minutes later) a parking officer was writing her a ticket. When she asked what she had done he informed her that they moved the signs last Thursday (when she was on spring break) and it was no longer loading/unloading there but a handicapped spot. He had her car blocked with his vehicle and demanded $100 or he already had a tow truck on the way. Scared and late for class she gave him everything she had left from springbreak - all $100! When I asked her about it she told me she had only been back to the dorm twice since returning from break (both at night and in regular parking spots where she didn't need to even look for a sign) and this morning there was a big white truck parked in front of where the sign had been moved. My question is #1 Can anyone demand to be paid for a parking violation on the spot or be threatened to lose their car and #2 Does she have a case to appeal for the violation Any help would be appreciated - she is upset and broke in Louisville?What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

SUEG657 said:
I reside in Kentucky, where my 18 year old daughter attends the University of Louisville. She had left her dorm this morning to run to the store and realized she had left a book she needed in her room. When she pulled into the parking area, all the spots were full except for the "loading/unloading spot" where she and her friends have always pulled into if they just need to run in for a few minutes. When she came out (less than 15 minutes later) a parking officer was writing her a ticket. When she asked what she had done he informed her that they moved the signs last Thursday (when she was on spring break) and it was no longer loading/unloading there but a handicapped spot. He had her car blocked with his vehicle and demanded $100 or he already had a tow truck on the way. Scared and late for class she gave him everything she had left from springbreak - all $100! When I asked her about it she told me she had only been back to the dorm twice since returning from break (both at night and in regular parking spots where she didn't need to even look for a sign) and this morning there was a big white truck parked in front of where the sign had been moved. My question is #1 Can anyone demand to be paid for a parking violation on the spot or be threatened to lose their car and #2 Does she have a case to appeal for the violation Any help would be appreciated - she is upset and broke in Louisville?What is the name of your state?
This is a matter for the university.

The question I have is, was there a sign designating the space for handicapped parking and who did she receive a receipt for the monies.?

sukharev

This is not supposed to happen - officers do not collect money this way - they write tickets. She should write a complaint to University PD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">