• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DC BS "no front plate" ticket question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrLiou168

What is the name of your state? Ticket in Washington DC, car reg: NJ
Was stopped by an extremely rude police officer (DC Dept. of Defense cop) having a bad day at the entrance to the Anacostia Naval Base in DC. Cited me for having no front plate. 2 questions: Can a DC cop enforce NJ state law (even if NJ DOES require a front plate)? And since this is a non-moving violation, was it legal for him to write me the ticket in the first place? I thought this was a "secondary violation" sort of offense that an officer could only write after he has pulled a driver over for something else...

On a secondary note, does DC law state "use of radar detectors prohibited" or "possession of radar detector illegal?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tranquility

Can a DC cop enforce NJ state law (even if NJ DOES require a front plate)?

He didn't. He enforced DC law. Just because it's registered in New Jersey, doesn't make N.J. law controlling.
While the specifics are important and I don't know the law regarding plate requirements and don't express an opinion, the vehicle's registered state is important.

There are some important appellate cases regarding probable cause related to the front plate issue. The officer pulls over a car for no front plate, but the state where the vehicle is registered in does not have a front plate requirement. The cases get down to the validity of the arrest (some of the cases has the officer find contraband) or on qualified immunity in a suit against the officer. Each presupposes that it is not illegal to have one plate when driving in a state where two plates are required. At the time of the cases, some states only issued one plate.

(I'm sure there is a case long ago which points this out, I just haven't run across it in my travels. I merely know this from "mistake in law" probable cause case searches.)

xylene

Here is a solution LAWFULLY DISPLAY YOUR TAGS :rolleyes:

Here's how it works:

Any state (or District) can REQUIRE you to PROPERLY display the indica of registration (ie stickers plates etc.) that are required for the STATE YOUR VEHICLE IS REGISTERED IN.

An example.

Delaware issues only one (rear) plate.

In NY Two plates are issued (front rear)

A Delaware motorist driving in NY cannot validly get an improper plates ticket

A New York motorist driving in Delaware with no front plate like a TOTAL SCHMUCK most cetainly CAN (and should) get valid ticket. GUILTY.

LET me guess your car has cheezy aftermarket rims, a DIY lowering kit and a fart can. Everyone who come on here and asks this question has an "awesome" car like that. :eek:

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state? Ticket in Washington DC, car reg: NJ
Was stopped by an extremely rude police officer (DC Dept. of Defense cop) having a bad day at the entrance to the Anacostia Naval Base in DC.
Irrelevant, and likely incorrect.
Can a DC cop enforce NJ state law (even if NJ DOES require a front plate)?
This is only a (potential) issue when one state requires 1-plate and the other 2. Here, the officer obviously knew NJ required 2 and there is nothing wrong with the stop or ticket.
And since this is a non-moving violation, was it legal for him to write me the ticket in the first place? I thought this was a "secondary violation" sort of offense that an officer could only write after he has pulled a driver over for something else...
Not even remotely true.
On a secondary note, does DC law state "use of radar detectors prohibited" or "possession of radar detector illegal?"
I haven't looked in a long time, but my recollection is "possession". I know I always put mine in the glovebox when traveling through DC; I assume that's the reason why.

Last edited:

MrLiou168

Here is a solution LAWFULLY DISPLAY YOUR TAGS :rolleyes:

Here's how it works:

Any state (or District) can REQUIRE you to PROPERLY display the indica of registration (ie stickers plates etc.) that are required for the STATE YOUR VEHICLE IS REGISTERED IN.

An example.

Delaware issues only one (rear) plate.

In NY Two plates are issued (front rear)

A Delaware motorist driving in NY cannot validly get an improper plates ticket

A New York motorist driving in Delaware with no front plate like a TOTAL SCHMUCK most cetainly CAN (and should) get valid ticket. GUILTY.

LET me guess your car has cheezy aftermarket rims, a DIY lowering kit and a fart can. Everyone who come on here and asks this question has an "awesome" car like that. :eek:
Thanks for the confidence in my taste in cars. She happens to be a bone stock 07 Audi RS4. And I think this is one of the reasons why the cop was angry with his miserable *******ly existence. He was obviously hunting for something before I even pulled up.

xylene

Thanks for the confidence in my taste in cars. She happens to be a bone stock 07 Audi RS4. And I think this is one of the reasons why the cop was angry with his miserable *******ly existence. He was obviously hunting for something before I even pulled up.
Well then I would be flat out livid with the incompetent dealership that failed to mount the mandatory license plates that I had paid them for in the purchase price of my new vehicle. :rolleyes:

MrLiou168

No I am not livid...

because I was the one who took the plate bracket off and replaced it with one with no holes. (maybe I should be driving a yellow civic with chrome rims, a folgers can, and 130dB of bass) I was simply inquiring as to the legality of the citation in an effort to tear the ticket up in the cop's face for being unprofessional. Unfortunately, this will never happen due to the feedback I received. The fact of the matter is that I have no problem paying the measly fine. Thanks for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
because I was the one who took the plate bracket off and replaced it with one with no holes. (maybe I should be driving a yellow civic with chrome rims, a folgers can, and 130dB of bass) I was simply inquiring as to the legality of the citation in an effort to tear the ticket up in the cop's face for being unprofessional. Unfortunately, this will never happen due to the feedback I received. The fact of the matter is that I have no problem paying the measly fine. Thanks for your help.
So, moral of the story is - don't just disregard the law :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FlyingRon

Don't blame DC for the DOD cops. They're federales.

Believe me, you're screwed if you bust a traffic law on a military post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">