• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership Loaner Car with expired inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom_in_texas

I'm in Texas and just traded in my car to purchase one from a dealership. My car is not ready yet, the transaction will complete Tuesday. When they took in my car on trade, they gave me another one to use as a loaner until mine was ready. When I got home, I noticed, the inspection is expired - by almost 6 months! The car has a dealer tag.

Can I be ticketed for driving this car, and what kind of administrative headaches will I have to go through if I did?

I planned to drive it Tuesday morning, as part of my regular routine, I go through two counties and park on the campus of a university.

Needless to say I am stuck at home on this Labor day weekend, at least I think I am. Not to mention what I might have to deal with on the way to campus, and by the campus police too.

Any advice? BTW did I mention I am in Texas.

JETX

mom_in_texas said:
Can I be ticketed for driving this car
Of course you can!!! Why would you think you are somehow exempt??

and what kind of administrative headaches will I have to go through if I did?
None. Just pay the fine.

Any advice?
Yep, contact the dealer and get it in WRITING that they will cover the ticket if you get a ticket... or drive at your own risk.
In Texas, the obligation is on the DRIVER to check the vehicle license and inspection before getting behind the wheel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">