• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

decal violation while parked in driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbalzac

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recently recieved a ticket for expired state tags/license plate stickers. The vehicle was parked in my driveway in my townhouse community. It is a 3rd vehicle that is never driven. Can the police even issue a ticket for expired tags on a non-used vehicle in a private driveway?

xylene

gbalzac said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recently recieved a ticket for expired state tags/license plate stickers. The vehicle was parked in my driveway in my townhouse community. It is a 3rd vehicle that is never driven. Can the police even issue a ticket for expired tags on a non-used vehicle in a private driveway?
Please describe the exact way the car was parked.

efflandt

Does your complex or community have any regulations about storage of disabled, junk, or unregistered vehicles outside?

Was the vehicle still covered by insurance. Because if that had expired, then the plates should have been immediately returned to the DMV, and without plates, how could they cite it for "expired" registration?

I cannot find anything in the Virginia Driver's Manual requiring plates for an unused vehicle. It might help if you stated or did a web search for the specific statute you were cited for.

Six Black Roses

Now, I understand that you're in Virginia, and I'm in California, but perhaps it might interest you to know that it's not too unreasonable--hahah, what a subjective term--from a legal standpoint to require that any car publically viewable must be "currently registered and in operating condition."

I once had a guy knock on my door to tell me that I need to remove my car from the driveway because it's not currently registered and looks like it's been sitting there for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiles

The Occultist said:
Um... what?
Maybe he's referring to a security guard/nosy neighbor/whatever knocking on his door. Someone who acts like a cop but isn't.

It's nice to own a garage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Six Black Roses said:
Now, I understand that you're in Virginia, and I'm in California, but perhaps it might interest you to know that it's not too unreasonable--hahah, what a subjective term--from a legal standpoint to require that any car publically viewable must be "currently registered and in operating condition."
What is the California state law that you are referring to?
(Local municipalities often have laws relating to unregistered vehicles on private property)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">