• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default Judgement notice...Never received a ticket NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melliemel79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello,

I received a notice in the mail today from NYC Dept. of Finance Parking Violations. The notice is for Impending Default Judgement.

To my surprise after researching this notice I apparently got a ticket back in July for Failure to Display Muni-Meter Ticket.

I NEVER got a ticket on this day. I don't know if the ticket fell off my windshield or if it was never placed there. I don't know but I DID NOT GET a ticket. I am a very responsible person. I have received a ticket before and I ALWAYS pay it when I am in the wrong. But I do not want to in this case.

What can I do since I NEVER received the ticket in the first place and that I KNOW I displayed my muni-meter ticket? Problem is this was over 2 months ago and I obviously don't have the receipt any more.

thanks for any help
Please do not tell me I have to pay the $65 they are asking for. This is such a rip off....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From http://assembly.state.ny.us/member_files/082/20090219/

Consequences of
Failing to Respond

Failing to respond to the first and second notice of violation may subject you to the suspension and non-renewal of the owner’s registration, additional penalties, and a default judgment.

Additional Penalties: You must enter a plea within 30 days of the issuance of the summons to avoid an additional $10 penalty. Entry of a plea more than 45 days, but less than 76 days from the date of the summons, subjects you to another $20 penalty, raising the total additional penalties to $30. An additional $30 penalty is imposed upon persons entering a plea more than 75 days from the date of the summons, raising the total in additional penalties to $60.

Default Judgments: Failure to enter a plea, to appear at a hearing, or to comply with a determination is deemed an admission of liability, which is grounds for a default judgment. Before a default judgment can be entered, Parking Violations is required to notify you of the violation charged, of the impending default judgment, that the judgment shall be entered in the Civil Court and that a default may be avoided by entering a plea or making an appearance within 30 days of the sending of the notice.

An entry of default judgment against you could result in:

assignment of your account to a collections attorney or agency

the booting, towing and sale of your motor vehicle

seizure of other non-exempt personal property

restraining of your bank accounts

garnishment of your non-exempt wages

non-renewal of your motor vehicle

registration, if you have unsatisfied

judgments on three or more summonses

within an 18-month period

placement of a lien against your real property

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">