• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defective Tail Light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

javyis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was issued a citation for a defective tail light. I was driving a friend's vehicle and I was pulled over the night of the car loan. I explained to the officer that the vehicle was not mine, there was a recall on the lamp, and I was not aware it was defective. He issued a citation anyway. I appeared in court today, and I plead not guilty. What can I do? Should I hire an attorney? What are the legal responsibilities of the owners/me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

OHRoadwarrior

You have a responsibility to inspect the vehicle and make sure all equipment is functioning properly, before operating it on the road.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was issued a citation for a defective tail light. I was driving a friend's vehicle and I was pulled over the night of the car loan. I explained to the officer that the vehicle was not mine, there was a recall on the lamp, and I was not aware it was defective. He issued a citation anyway. I appeared in court today, and I plead not guilty. What can I do? Should I hire an attorney? What are the legal responsibilities of the owners/me?
Yes, that's right. Hire an attorney to fight an equipment violation ticket.
:rolleyes:

There is a concept called strict liability - you were driving so you are responsible and you get the ticket. Why don't you just have your "friend" pay it for you since it was his car?

You told the officer there was a recall on the lamp but yet you claimed no knowledge it was defective?? What kind of sense does that make? Seems like you knowingly drove the car with defective equipment. Not sure why you're complaining that you got caught.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">