• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defective ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nadezhda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
NYS
I got a letter by mail that my car was parked near a hydrant and I have to pay $115 +$10 late fee. I had not got any ticket and did not park my car there. I checked the ticket on the Internet, it shows my plate number but a different color and model and the VIN is not written.
What should I do?
Thanks a lot.

nadezhda

I certainly will plead not guilty, because I am not. But how is it better to do it - in person or by mail?

efflandt

I got a letter from City of Chicago about a delinquent parking ticket that I did not remember receiving, but the letter had nothing but the plate number. I sent a letter back asking the make and color of the car, and that if it was not a blue Subaru wagon, it was not my car. I also explained that my sales records showed that I was in Ohio that week. Never heard any more about it.

Some color mistakes can be understandable, like mistaking blue or green if color blind or light blue or silver based on weather or lighting. And some models are similar, like a Sable might be mistaken for a Taurus.

But if it is not even close and you can prove you were nowhere near there, write them back or follow whatever procedures to protest it.

LSCAP

If you do it in person, you will have proof of win or loss.

By mail, the result (maybe guilty?) might get lost in the mail and then things (debts ) build up waiting for you to pay.

ElJayBronx

Go in person...

...and bring your REGISTRATION and a PHOTO of the car. When you get to the DOF office, ask for a copy of the ticket and examine it carefully; the clerk may actually help you find the clues to the ticket not being issued correctly (years ago, I got one dismissed because I didn't own a "Chevy Pinto"...for those without the knowledge of years, the Pinto was made by FORD. For the record I RICHLY DESERVED that summons but the idiocy of its writer made the ALJ laugh with me...and DISMISS).

At the very least, if you answer the notice within 30 days the ALJ will very likely remove the $10 penalty charge on your claim you never received the actual ticket. Even if properly issued, it's not unreasonable that yours may have been removed by a prankster or blown away from the windshield wiper.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">