• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denver parking ticket for expired out of state plates Unsigned by officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawn12122002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Yesterday I received a parking ticket from what I'm guess was a meter maid. The ticket was for my expired Michigan plates on the car. My question is: is this ticket valid because the signature line was left blank by whoever issued the ticket. In chapter 54-823 of the Denver municipal code that I was in violation of it states that the officer must issue a signed penalty notice. Is my ticket invalid because they failed to sign it?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Maybe the signature just didn't appear on your copy. If the ticket is a multi-part form it's very likely. When I sign them I rarely make an effort to press very hard when signing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let me restate the question. Why do you think 54-823 applies to a violation of the vehicle taxation law in the state of Colorado?

justalayman

Let me restate the question. Why do you think 54-823 applies to a violation of the vehicle taxation law in the state of Colorado?
Not knowing whether 54-823 would apply or not but how does this involve the Colorado vehicle taxation law? CO accrues no taxes from a MI registration.

shawn, what is the code section cited on the ticket?

justalayman

I suspect you won't win on the signature but feel free to give it a shot. I would rather fight it simply because unless your car is currently registered in Colorado, the code section does not apply to you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not knowing whether 54-823 would apply or not but how does this involve the Colorado vehicle taxation law? CO accrues no taxes from a MI registration.

shawn, what is the code section cited on the ticket?
OP violated a section of code that is related to "taxation" (ie: revenue generated). I can't help it if Colorado labels the code section relating to license plates as "Taxation" ;)

shawn12122002

May I throw two more things into this discussion. Number one, my friend recently informed me that since I am currently an full time out of state student in Colorado I can get out of the ticket due to not being able to renew my plates from colorado. Second, would switching my plates to colorado help anything? Since I am eventually planning on living here.

justalayman

but you can renew your plates/registration by mail. In fact, you are typically sent a renewal form in the mail. If your insurance is on record, all you have to do is write a check, sign everything, and drop it in the mail.

Last edited:

Silverplum

May I throw two more things into this discussion. Number one, my friend recently informed me that since I am currently an full time out of state student in Colorado I can get out of the ticket due to not being able to renew my plates from colorado. Second, would switching my plates to colorado help anything? Since I am eventually planning on living here.
First: No, because of what JAL just wrote.

Second: No.

shawn12122002

In Michigan you are not able to renew by mail. Trust me, if you were I would definitely do it because it would save me from going to the secretary of state.

OHRoadwarrior

In Michigan you are not able to renew by mail. Trust me, if you were I would definitely do it because it would save me from going to the secretary of state.
The state seems to disagree with you. In fact, you can renew online.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_1587_1590_14907_47675-175999--,00.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">