• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dirty Cop wrongfully issues parking violation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yongho

State: NY (New York City)
Date of ticket: March 22nd, 2006

This is very frustrating. I was issued a parking violation when in fact there was no violation. The ticket was for an expired meter however, by the time I got back to my car I still had 1 minute remaining so I was surprised to see I had been issued a ticket.

All I have in my defense are my two passenger witnesses who can verify what happened and my weak defense of "But it wasn't expired". I only wish I had one more minute on the meter so I could've had the time to snap a picture with my cell phone of the meter (clearly with time remaining) along with my car in the background with the parking ticket in view.

The only reason I can think of why I even got a ticket was probably because the officer issued the ticket when there was still about five minutes left on the meter and must've just assumed I wouldn't show in time. I was literally sitting and drinking tea two blocks away.

Bull.

I need opinions on whether or not I have a good chance of fighting this and winning.

Last edited:

BL

Ya might not win , but ya might get it reduced , if you're assertive , but polite . Bring your witness's , or just pay the dang thing if not that much .

yongho

Alright, I just paid it this morning after reading your comments.
I appreciate the responses, thanks guys.

It was $65. Had it been over $100 (where it is in some other locations) then yes, I would've fought it.

Vic26

I'm not at all surprised that that happend to you. I myself get between 5-10 parking tickets every month in nyc , even when there's still time on the meter. The way they write them is they know I park for more than an hour and since technically there's a one hour parking limit on those meters, they still go ahead and write me a ticket. I try to explain that I cannot park on the streets (without having my car's bumpers scratched to death) but, to no avail. I've never gotten tickets for parking more than the allowed time except in NYC. The point is nyc meter maids are complete A$$HOLE$ :mad: . They all have a quota of tickets they need to write and they know that people especially in nyc aren't gonna waste there time to fight the stupid ticket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Vic26 said:
I'm not at all surprised that that happend to you. I myself get between 5-10 parking tickets every month in nyc , even when there's still time on the meter. The way they write them is they know I park for more than an hour and since technically there's a one hour parking limit on those meters, they still go ahead and write me a ticket. I try to explain that I cannot park on the streets (without having my car's bumpers scratched to death) but, to no avail. I've never gotten tickets for parking more than the allowed time except in NYC. The point is nyc meter maids are complete A$$HOLE$ :mad: . They all have a quota of tickets they need to write and they know that people especially in nyc aren't gonna waste there time to fight the stupid ticket.
Whether you like it or not, if you park for more than an hour, you are in violation. You can't feed more coins in to the meter. So, your post is just whining that you can't get away with breaking the law.

yongho

Incase anyone is wondering whether or not I was "feeding the meter". I was not. That particular meter had a 1 hour limit, and I put in enough money for 50 minutes and still received a ticket.

Xhoodlum

NYC Parking Enforcement

Your story reminds me of a recent event. I was in town on business and decided to take my daughter (an NYU freshman) to dinner in Chinatown. After driving around for about 10 minutes we were lucky to get a spot on Mott Street at a 1 Hour meter. Because as everybody knows 1 hour is more than enough to walk to a restaurant, wait in line, be seated and eat dinner (please detect some sarcasm here). I purchased my maximum 1 Hour of Parking @ twenty-five cents for each fifteen minutes, quarters only and noted the time on my watch. We were lucky and were seated right away and ordered dinner as soon as the waiter came over. I kept a carefull eye on my watch and we left with enough time to get back to the car. As we turned the corner the NYC Parking Enforcement Officer was standing by the meter ready to begin writing the ticket and as I peered over his shoulder it was counting down from :12, :11, :10 and at this point I coughed and said "wow are you guys efficient or what, but you'll have to get me next time..." The guy actually looked annoyed! Not sheepish or ashamed that I had busted him waiting for my freaking meter to expire, but ANNOYED! That's why New York will always be the town people love to hate... :cool:

Last edited:

yongho

FOX News ran a special recently about 2 weeks ago on parking tickets issued unfairly. Apparently there's been a growing number of complaints. It was funny to see one cop be asked why he had issued several tickets for parking in front of fire hydrants in areas where there were no fire hydrants. His reponse was "no comment". Yeah, f--- you cops.

How can we respect you police officers when you can't even read a meter.
And don't give me that "but that cop doesn't represent all of us".
Anything one cop does should reflect on the organization as a whole, and when enough "incidents" occur it should be dealth with and not ignored. Boo New York City.

AHA

If you know NYC is that bad and that you'll get a ticket every time you park, why not take a cab, bike, bus or subway instead and save a few bucks AND your record?

yongho

Hi,

Yeah, I actually do prefer and use public transportation frequently throughout the city :) because traffic is just a nightmare. But every once in a while I drive in to dine at some of my favorite restaurants (after work hours). And these restaurants are far from the more crowded areas (42nd, 14th, etc) and are in areas where there's less traffic and around 8-9pm.

Sometimes I just feel like driving in if I know I won't run into bad traffic.

Don't you like to drive in every once in a while too? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">