• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

law314159

In the state of VA we are required to disclose any drugs we may be taking for illnesses before getting a drivers license. I have a mental illness and take drugs for that, and I disclosed same. I have to have my doctor fill out a "Customer Medical Report" annually to keep my license. I recently neglected to get the report back to the DMV by the deadline and they suspended my license.

My question is this: Doesn't this violate my rights under the Americans with Disabilities act? They make it more difficult for me to maintain my license than any other citizen. I have to go through a process that no "well" citizen is required to go through. For example, shouldn't "ordinary" citizens have to get a note from their doctor declaring that they are not taking drugs annually?

Last edited:

The Occultist

Driving is not a right, it's a privilege. They are being restrictive in how they hand out their licenses in order to ensure the safety for everybody on the road. It is not a violation. Follow the rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">