• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled Parking on Private Property for Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoopBoopADoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

First of all, I'd like to say that this thread is not meant to be offensive in any way, I merely have some questions. I work for a small branch in a large company. Our office is filled with 8 administrative staff, 6 managers in a various departments, about 45 technicians, and 7 sales representatives. (Please note that not all of the technicians work every day so we have on average about 30 here every day.) The warehouse where we keep our supplies and repair the trucks is twice the size of our office alone. We are on private property. That being said, our parking is very limited. There are only 7 spots available in the front of the building (3 of which are handicapped), 15 on the left side of the building, 8 on the right, and about 10 in the back behind the gate. If you do the math, that typically leaves roughly 10 people who have to park across the street. There is not one person who is employed here who is handicapped or requires disabled parking. And we are not a face-to-face customer service office; we attend to customers over the phone or e-mail. The absolute ONLY customers that ever come to our branch are elderly and would rather drive up and give us a check for their bill than pay for the postage. So naturally, since parking is so limited, all of us use the handicapped parking when it's availble, since it's front and center of the building.

Well about a month ago, an elderly gentleman (who was NOT handicapped, mind you) came in to complain about his services, demanding a refund, then complained about having to park across the street. He said verbatum, "All those spots are filled by handicapped people RIGHT?" Flustered, one of the office ladies apologized and asked him if he was handicapped, to which he replied no but that an old man like him shouldn't have to walk all the way across the street. And please note that I do understand that, however, we are not meant to have customers in our office. All visitors must sign in and wear a nametag for security purposes, and the only reason we allow the customers who bring in checks for their bills is because they've been with our company for years and that's always how they've done it.

Anyways, as this is getting a little long (sorry I just want to explain in detail so I don't leave anything out) about an hour ago, a Police officer showed up in our parking lot, got out of his truck, and started writing tickets for the three people who had parked in the handicapped spots. When one of the customer service guys went outside and talked to him, he was told that the police had recieved a complaint (one guess as to whom) for taken handicapped spots. Now I know that the old man had nothing better to do than complain and make other miserable, and that the officer was probably happy to comply as it's the end of the month and he has a quota to fill, but this is private property and not meant for customer use, limited parking, and no one on staff who is disabled. Plus, there are THREE spots for disabled, with such limited parking as it is! Is there any way my co-workers can fight these tickets? I got lucky because the last two days I'd been parking in those spots and this morning, there just happened to be only one spot available in the front and it wasn't a handicapped spot.

I just think that this is all ridiculous. Any thought?

tranquility

People who don't have the proper authorization shouldn't park in the handicapped space(s). Problem solved.

(Having to walk further is not a defense to a handicapped parking violation.)

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

First of all, I'd like to say that this thread is not meant to be offensive in any way, I merely have some questions. I work for a small branch in a large company. Our office is filled with 8 administrative staff, 6 managers in a various departments, about 45 technicians, and 7 sales representatives. (Please note that not all of the technicians work every day so we have on average about 30 here every day.) The warehouse where we keep our supplies and repair the trucks is twice the size of our office alone. We are on private property. That being said, our parking is very limited. There are only 7 spots available in the front of the building (3 of which are handicapped), 15 on the left side of the building, 8 on the right, and about 10 in the back behind the gate. If you do the math, that typically leaves roughly 10 people who have to park across the street. There is not one person who is employed here who is handicapped or requires disabled parking. And we are not a face-to-face customer service office; we attend to customers over the phone or e-mail. The absolute ONLY customers that ever come to our branch are elderly and would rather drive up and give us a check for their bill than pay for the postage. So naturally, since parking is so limited, all of us use the handicapped parking when it's availble, since it's front and center of the building.

Well about a month ago, an elderly gentleman (who was NOT handicapped, mind you) came in to complain about his services, demanding a refund, then complained about having to park across the street. He said verbatum, "All those spots are filled by handicapped people RIGHT?" Flustered, one of the office ladies apologized and asked him if he was handicapped, to which he replied no but that an old man like him shouldn't have to walk all the way across the street. And please note that I do understand that, however, we are not meant to have customers in our office. All visitors must sign in and wear a nametag for security purposes, and the only reason we allow the customers who bring in checks for their bills is because they've been with our company for years and that's always how they've done it.

Anyways, as this is getting a little long (sorry I just want to explain in detail so I don't leave anything out) about an hour ago, a Police officer showed up in our parking lot, got out of his truck, and started writing tickets for the three people who had parked in the handicapped spots. When one of the customer service guys went outside and talked to him, he was told that the police had recieved a complaint (one guess as to whom) for taken handicapped spots. Now I know that the old man had nothing better to do than complain and make other miserable, and that the officer was probably happy to comply as it's the end of the month and he has a quota to fill, but this is private property and not meant for customer use, limited parking, and no one on staff who is disabled. Plus, there are THREE spots for disabled, with such limited parking as it is! Is there any way my co-workers can fight these tickets? I got lucky because the last two days I'd been parking in those spots and this morning, there just happened to be only one spot available in the front and it wasn't a handicapped spot.

I think you better warn everyone to stop parking in the handicapped spots if they are not handicapped. (Assuming they don't want to receive anymore tickets, that is).

BoopBoopADoo

I do understand that those spots serve a purpose, but we certainly don't need three! One should suffice, if even that. And considering that this is private property for a business that is not meant for customers to visit, and there are no handicapped staff here, there is really nothing that can be done?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I do understand that those spots serve a purpose, but we certainly don't need three! One should suffice, if even that. And considering that this is private property for a business that is not meant for customers to visit, and there are no handicapped staff here, there is really nothing that can be done?
Sure there is - don't park in the spots designated for handicap usage :rolleyes:

CdwJava

It is possible that when the lot was laid out that city regulations required more spaces than the state of Texas did. Typically it seems that state law requires one disabled space per 25 vehicles. You can check with the local city planners and see if they know why three spaces were approved and ask if one of these can be eliminated. Or, staff can simply adhere to the law and make do with a short walk as they thank God that they do not NEED one of those spaces closer to the building.

http://governor.state.tx.us/files/disabilities/accessible_parking_fast_facts.pdf

OHRoadwarrior

Those of us who need and legally use handicapped spaces appreciate you normal people who can make determinations of when it is and is not permissible, to violate the law by parking in handicapped spaces. We think of you every time you have made that determination and one of us needs that space. Generally it is those "elderly people" that are licensed for handicapped spaces, along with vendors and other people. Further, you might be surprised how many of your coworkers actually have placards, however, do not use them out of fear of termination. I have never used my placard at work and diligently attempt to hide my disability, whenever I am working near other company employees. Thankfully, for me, it only a few hours a day usually.

swalsh411

I agree with you. It is entirely ridiculous that you think it's ok for a non-handicapped person to park in a handicapped spot. I hope that cop returns every day until you and your selfish co-workers get the message.

justalayman

yes but I would be banned if I posted it.

If you are legally required to have HC spaces, they are reserved for those with permission to use HC spaces. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

You do realize that Walmart's parking lot and Macy's parking lot and thousands of other business parking lots are private property, right? The only thing that matters is whether they are legally obligated to provide HC parking spaces or not. So, find out if your company is actually required to provide HC parking spaces. If it isn't, the get rid of the HC spaces. If you are required, then stay out of the HC spaces or risk an expensive ticket.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually yeah you do. Why? It is the LAW! You guys can quit being lazy and actually be thankful you can walk across a street with no issues and don't need the spots.

BoopBoopADoo

Wow

So I'm meant to feel guilty for complaining about frivolous handicapped parking spots? IF ANYONE OF YOU DOWNTALKING SNOBS READ CAREFULLY, OUR OFFICE IS NOT MEANT FOR CUSTOMERS AND NO ONE IN OUR OFFICE IS HANDICAPPED! I also said we have very limited parking and those three spots and the space allotted for wheelchairs is a MASSIVE waste of space! And according to you people, I'm lucky to have the ability to walk? So people without ability to walk are unlucky then? Whatever...let's baby everyone in the world and tell ourselves that we're all special. Survival of the fittest has obviously died out a long time ago. Now we're over populated and full of people that waste space and resources, costing fortunes in medical resources, eat too much, are never satisfied, and are somehow protected in doing so by the law or government. I am so SICK of this country babying the less fortunate. Sorry the cards you were dealt suck, but guess what, there's always someone who's got it worse then you so don't pray on the pity of those just trying to live their lives. Excuse me while I go shove my head through a wall...the idiocracy of all you people is simply unbearable. (And save the comments encouraging me to do so, you haters are just too predictable.) SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">