• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disabled parking questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

howardv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles, CA

My mom was recently issued a disabled placard. She has dementia and Parkinson (and sometimes uses a wheelchair). She does not drive and does not have a car. The placard stays in my car's glove box as I'm her primary care giver. I have a couple of questions as to the proper use of the placard.

1. When I go to pick her up from home, can I park and display the placard (while I go in by myself to prepare and get her?)

2. When I take her to the doctor, I like to drop her off in front of the medical building, then go park (easier not to have to push her wheelchair ). Can I still use her handicapped placard?

I think the answer to the above is "yes" to both, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks for any advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles, CA

My mom was recently issued a disabled placard. She has dementia and Parkinson (and sometimes uses a wheelchair). She does not drive and does not have a car. The placard stays in my car's glove box as I'm her primary care giver. I have a couple of questions as to the proper use of the placard.

1. When I go to pick her up from home, can I park and display the placard (while I go in by myself to prepare and get her?)

2. When I take her to the doctor, I like to drop her off in front of the medical building, then go park (easier not to have to push her wheelchair ). Can I still use her handicapped placard?

I think the answer to the above is "yes" to both, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks for any advice.
I am in a similar situation and I utilize my spouse's handicap placard (actually, we have the plates) in just such a manner.

With that said, you *may* end up defending yourself against a ticket if, for example, you are seen by the police/parking enforcement leaving the vehicle without your mom. You are less likely to have to worry about it since you both (presumably) have female names. My wife has a very female name and I just don't fit the description ;)

I have to ask (with regard to #2) why do you feel the need to drop her off and then park? Handicap spaces are usually the closest to the building entrance.

ETA: If you're male, then my apologies - doesn't change the info though ;)

howardv

Yes, I am a male :)

The medical buildings usually have their own parking structures where they charge up to $20+ for parking (even with a handicapped placard). This is why I drop her off at a "drop off zone" and then go park a couple of blocks away...usually at a metered parking.

The police/meter maids will not ticket me by just casually observing. They have to approach me and see if the registered name on the placard matches one of the passengers. I don't know if I can say I just dropped them off at the medical plaza because I'm not sure how the law applies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, I am a male :)

The medical buildings usually have their own parking structures where they charge up to $20+ for parking (even with a handicapped placard). This is why I drop her off at a "drop off zone" and then go park a couple of blocks away...usually at a metered parking.

The police/meter maids will not ticket me by just casually observing. They have to approach me and see if the registered name on the placard matches one of the passengers. I don't know if I can say I just dropped them off at the medical plaza because I'm not sure how the law applies.
Actually, based on this, I suggest that your parking does NOT meet the requirements. The spots are designed to enable easier access for the person being transported. If mom can wait while you park, she can wait while you go get the car. It IS entirely possible for you to be ticketed based on your actions. They don't have to approach YOU since they'll see you park and then exit the vehicle. You're male, placard owner is female. And, I would further suggest that the ticket would be well-deserved.

When I park at medical offices, etc., my wife will be utilizing the convenience offered by the spot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">