• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Apparently I parked in a disabled parking area, without the placard up. My boyfriend has a valid placard and his car is handicap registered; however, mine is not. He is meticulous about putting his placard up. I was notified pf this unfortunate information by mail--apparently I had "left" before the officer could place the ticket to my vehicle. I do not park in handicap zones unless he is with me.

I go to this store every other day. I recall driving my boyfriend to the RiteAid RX a few weeks back-but not the day on the ticket. The fine is over S400 dollars. I was given less than 30 days to pay and I am really irritated about it. I called the number listed in the letter, they said an officer "witnessed" my leaving the store and driving off alone. I said, "hmmm, really?" She asked me to describe myself-I hesitated because... if he saw me, he knows what I look like, right? I was silent. She asked how old I was? I said 40. She asked if I had blonde hair, and I knew I was not going to answer any more of her questions. My drivers license info is 15 years ago & states I have blonde hair, weigh 240. In fact, for nearly 2 years I have had dark brown hair and weigh 100 lbs less than my DL states.

Without admitting or denying any facts as to my parking situation, I told her my boyfriend is handicap and if my car was parked in handicap, it was done so legit ably. She said for each of us to write a letter as to why there was no placard posted, submit a photocopy of his placard and copies of both our driver license. Our statements would be reviewed and we would be notified by mail of the determination.

I do not know why I have received this ticket. I don't believe I was parked in the in handicap zone. I am in NO financial condition to consider paying any part of any fine. I am not sure what to do. One might find it a fortunate coincidence me that my boyfriend has a placard. He will gladly write a statement of whatever "recollection" of events. I don't want him to do that for me. I want to see the proof.

What approach should I take in regard to this seemingly unproven violation... GRRRrrrr! I believe it is best to keep quiet until your day in court, that gives the most time to review the facts. If asked, I will be truthful with my recollection of that day. Hypothetically speaking here--what type of scenarios could or might be considered excusable in regard to the fine? I see that some handicap signs post $400+, some $250 minimum and others say nothing of a fine. Why is this?

Would this adversely affect my boyfriend's handicap status in any way?

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

CdwJava

It's a parking ticket, not a homicide.

Challenge the cite as they have arranged and take it from there. If you lose the initial challenge, you can generally appeal up to the next level. Then, finally, you can take the matter to a judge who will hear the matter.

The officer does not have to identify you, or even that you were alone in the car. All that they must be shown is that you parked in the handicapped spot without displaying a placard or disabled license plates.

So, write the letter and see what happens. The worst thing that happens is that they deny your challenge and you have to appeal it.

Understand that these are parking cites and as such they do not go to court until you have lost the first wo levels of challenges and you opt to go to court (and pay the costs if you lose). As for the signs, some are older than others, and some are in different jurisdictions with differing fine amounts.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">