• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disregard to traffic control devices for parking in a handicap designated area???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkim1124

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was at a county park with my dogs and I was parked in the grass in the top lot. There was a sign that said parking at the top was for handicap parking only (which I did not see). I was not parked in a handicap marked spot, but in the grass. I received a citation and the charge is obedience to traffic control devices. First, how is parking in the grass disobedience to traffic control devices...isnt this a moving violation? And can you really receive a citation when the spot your parked in actully is not specifically marked handicap?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You yourself said there was a posted sign designating the area that you parked in for handicapped persons. You disregarded the sign even if you did not see it.

You received a parking ticket? If so, then I'm not sure what your issue is. None of your arguments/questions provide you with an out. You are guilty based upon your narrative.

Apparently the ticket was NOT for handicapped parking, but rather a more general charge of disregarding a sign.

mkim1124

I did not receive a parking ticket. I received a citation for not obeying traffic control devices which is a moving violation-I was parked. From what I understand a traffic control device is a stop sign, traffic light, yeild sign etc.
Also, I was told for handicap parking tickets to be enforced, the spot must be clearly marked with a sign, the amount of the fine must be posted on the sing, and there must be blue lines painted on the ground.

FlyingRon

But what you were "told" has no bearing on your case. As you stated you weren't charged with a handicapped parking violation, but a moving violation for failure to obey the sign.

Further what makes you think that you can drive and park on the grass?
Thanks for ruining public space for the rest of the citizenry.

HighwayMan

Traffic control devices include various types of signs and things like traffic signal lights and pavement markings.

Generally, any sign with a white background and black lettering which controls traffic movement in some way is considered a traffic control device. Does this describe your sign?

What exactly did the sign say?

mkim1124

But what you were "told" has no bearing on your case. As you stated you weren't charged with a handicapped parking violation, but a moving violation for failure to obey the sign.

Further what makes you think that you can drive and park on the grass?
Thanks for ruining public space for the rest of the citizenry.
If you saw the area, you would understand what makes me think I can drive and park on the grass. It is an area for parking....where plenty of people park. I just happened to get a citation along with some other people because apparently it is an area designated for handicap parking, which I was unaware of at the time.

mkim1124

Traffic control devices include various types of signs and things like traffic signal lights and pavement markings.

Generally, any sign with a white background and black lettering which controls traffic movement in some way is considered a traffic control device. Does this describe your sign?

What exactly did the sign say?
Im not sure exactly what the sign said because I never saw it. But the officer said the sign says that the top is for handicap parking only. I was just curious about this because my boss who is a retired county cop (from the same county this officer is from) said that he should not have cited me for obedience to traffic control devices. But I get what your saying! I guess Ill find out tomorrow!

FlyingRon

Well if you don't know what the sign says, your cop friend and the rest of this board aren't going to have any clue either. We can't venture as to what defense you might have to the charge not knowing just what it is that you did.

However, depending on what it does say, even driving in that lot may have been contrary to the sign.

HighwayMan

You can't jump to conclusions about the validity of the ticket if you don't know what the sign said or what it looked like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">