• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to pay a late fee for this parking ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susb

I'm in Washington. I got a parking ticket from a private parking company last month. I disputed it. They said I still had to pay.
They mailed me that response on June 1st and said I have 14 days to mail my payment. I mailed my check well before the 14th. And I went out of town thinking it's all done.
I returned on the 27th and got a mail which was postmarked on the 16th but written on the 15th that my check didn't have a signature and I have 14 days from the date of issuance or dispute to either fix my check or send a new one. They sent me this response on the 15th, which is already past the 14th. I thought it meant 14 days from the response so I sent in my check that is signed on the 28th.
They sent me a letter today that it was suppose to be payed by the 14th and it was turned in late so I need to pay a late fee.
I don't usually write checks so I didn't even have any more left. I mean they return my check telling me it's unsigned on the 16th and expect me to fix it up and send it back by the 14th??
Do I need to pay the late fee?
What actions can I take to perhaps fight this?
This parking company is notorious around here and honestly, it's only 25 dollars but I want to fight it.
I googled their company and everyone says just not to pay the ticket because they issue it for bs reasons. But I don't want it to be turned in to collections and have my credit ruined.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in Washington. I got a parking ticket from a private parking company last month. I disputed it. They said I still had to pay.
They mailed me that response on June 1st and said I have 14 days to mail my payment. I mailed my check well before the 14th. And I went out of town thinking it's all done.
I returned on the 27th and got a mail which was postmarked on the 16th but written on the 15th that my check didn't have a signature and I have 14 days from the date of issuance or dispute to either fix my check or send a new one. They sent me this response on the 15th, which is already past the 14th. I thought it meant 14 days from the response so I sent in my check that is signed on the 28th.
They sent me a letter today that it was suppose to be payed by the 14th and it was turned in late so I need to pay a late fee.
I don't usually write checks so I didn't even have any more left. I mean they return my check telling me it's unsigned on the 16th and expect me to fix it up and send it back by the 14th??
This parking company is notorious around here and honestly, it's only 25 dollars but I want to fight it.
I googled their company and everyone says just not to pay the ticket because they issue it for bs reasons. But I don't want it to be turned in to collections and have my credit ruined.
Yes, you should pay. Don't blame THEM that you can't figure out how checks work.

Just Blue

I'm in Washington. I got a parking ticket from a private parking company last month. I disputed it. They said I still had to pay.They mailed me that response on June 1st and said I have 14 days to mail my payment. I mailed my check well before the 14th. And I went out of town thinking it's all done.
Despite your apparent passive aggressive attempt to stymie your legal obligation to pay the fine. You DO need to pay it with late charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">