• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a residential parking permit to park on the street blocking my garage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California - San Francisco

I am moving to a new street that requires residential parking permit to park over 2 hours. If I am always parking on the street blocking my own garage, do I still need a permit? Anybody knows?

Another question: Around town, I see many cars that park on driveway or space between their houses and streets on the sidewalk, how do I know if I have space in the sidewalk to park? Someone told me as long as I leave space for a wheelchair to pass, would be fine. I don't think that's true. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Silverplum

California - San Francisco

I am moving to a new street that requires residential parking permit to park over 2 hours. If I am always parking on the street blocking my own garage, do I still need a permit? Anybody knows?

Another question: Around town, I see many cars that park on driveway or space between their houses and streets on the sidewalk, how do I know if I have space in the sidewalk to park? Someone told me as long as I leave space for a wheelchair to pass, would be fine. I don't think that's true. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
http://www.sfgov.org/site/frame.asp?u=http://www.sfmta.com/cms/pperm/indxpkperm.htm

justalayman

I found nothing concerning the permit issue but I see no reason you would not require a parking permit since you would be parking on the road where parking permits are required.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/penf/indxpkenf.htm#donotblock

5. Do not block driveways.

A driveway begins at the curb cut, or the point at which the curb begins to slope downward toward street level. A vehicle parked within curb cuts can be cited and towed. Even partial encroachments into the driveway area can result in a tow.

Some driveways are marked with short red curb markings that indicate where vehicles should not park. Only red zones painted by the City with a DPT or MTA stencil are enforced. It is illegal for private parties to paint curbs or other markings on the street.
Residents can block their own driveways only if the building the driveway serves has two or one units and the vehicle’s license plate is registered to the building’s address. All other types of driveway parking can be cited.

6. Do not park on sidewalks. A vehicle parked on any portion of a sidewalk can be cited for a sidewalk violation. A sidewalk citation can be given even if the pedestrian travel path is partly clear or if the vehicle is parked across a driveway. Sidewalks are the area between the curb and the building property line. Motorcycles are not exempt from sidewalk parking regulations. Bicycles can be parked on the sidewalk but their owners must ensure that the pedestrian path is safe and clear.

A driveway begins at the curb cut, or the point at which the curb begins to slope downward toward street level. A vehicle parked within curb cuts can be cited and towed. Even partial encroachments into the driveway area can result in a tow.
I think this refers to other peoples driveways. I could be cited for blocking my own driveway? Everyone seems to do it.

Residents can block their own driveways only if the building the driveway serves has two or one units and the vehicle’s license plate is registered to the building’s address. All other types of driveway parking can be cited.
It's worded strangely. Usually you mention the smaller first "...serves has one or two units...", "two or one units" is weird, I even thought I was reading it wrong.

And is a single family house considered a 1 unit building?

Thanks

justalayman

Yes, it is written strangely.

I believe the intent is that the drive serve only one or two residences. That would prevent parking in a drive for an apartment complex you live in.

If the drive serves one single family house only, they I would say you are safe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">