• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do tickets follow the car or the owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drewz

Would I be responsible?

I'm in California. I'm buying a car from a guy who admittedly has over 800.00 dollars in parking tickets on the vehicle. He is leaving the country (he was only here as a student) and said I have nothing to worry about since the tickets follow the person not the car. Is he telling me the truth? :confused:
Can I register this car and not worry about these old parking tickets?
Thanks for any advice.

Drew

Last edited:

CdwJava

I am not 100% certain, but you may not be able to obtain legal ownership of the vehicle if those parking cites have been reported to the DMV as they will be attached as a lien to the vehicle.

You might want to see a current registration printout of the vehicle before you hand over any money.

- Carl

Drewz

Thanks for the advice.
I decided to take the cars owner with me to the DMV tomorrow in Oakland just to make sure we have no funny business. :mad:
I'll post what I find out just in case anyone else faces the same dilemma.

Drew

Drewz

No Problems

I got the title transferred and paid the fees. The car is due for new tags in Nov lets hope that everything will go smoothly.

D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">