• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driveway variance, ticket for parking in front of my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angaria

I'm in Pittsburgh PA.

My car was parked on the street about 1.5 feet in front of the driveway in the house I rent (I pay extra to use the driveway/garage?. Unknown to me there is a variance against the driveway and the neighbor can use it half way up (although he never does). The guy could have just asked me to move. However, you could still get up and down the driveway if you had to.

I called to see what the specific charge was because the ticket is illegible and all they could come up with was "illegal parking." Should I plead not guilty?

sukharev

If it's still $42, and you have a couple of spare hours, yep, go downtown (FYI, there is a nice jail building right next to court house), make sure you are there 1/2 hour before the ticket says, be first one in line, state your case (say you did not park illegally, bring picture, whatever). It's a coin toss, take whatever the judge gives you (probably reduced fine of ~$20). Have fun.

Best regards to Pittsburgh, my favourite city :)

Go Steelers!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">