• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on a suspended license in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SixEight

My license is suspended for the next 20-30 days (originally suspended for speeding), however I have been driving to (and only to) work every day since the original suspension.

I told the judge that suspended me that there is no feasible mass transit route to my job and the drive is 45 minutes, so a bicycle is not an option.

Tonight I was pulled over and ticketed for driving while suspended. Tomorrow I have to get in the car and drive. If I don't drive to work, I lose my job.

I just want to pay my fine and avoid further suspension. I'm looking for advice on how to accomplish this. I can't afford to keep racking up these $500 tickets, and I can't afford to stop driving. Is there anything I can do to avoid further suspension of my license?

The Occultist

Several different bus lines, taxi, a friend...

Find a closer job...

Sorry, if the judge says no driving, it means no driving. You keep this up, your license will be revoked altogether, and then you'll be arrested when you're caught driving again after that.

Why were you pulled over?

An option is to be EXTRA careful when you are driving during this period. Like seriously, slow down at the highways, stop at the yellow lights, etc. You won't get pulled over if you obey all traffic rules.

FlyingRon

You needed to ask for a restricted license which would allow you to get to work. If you didn't get one, you shouldn't have been driving. You now face penalties for both crimes (your original speeding crime and for the driving on suspended crime). Also since you're in New Jersey, expect to now pay an inordinate amount of surcharges into the corrupt insurance system there.

mluscahas

Why were you pulled over?

An option is to be EXTRA careful when you are driving during this period. Like seriously, slow down at the highways, stop at the yellow lights, etc. You won't get pulled over if you obey all traffic rules.

Not true. See my case in the Criminal Law, Other State/Local about my experience right now through the same thing. I GOT PULLED OVER (yeah my lic was suspended) because the cop was BOARD AND RAN MY PLATES !!

So I suggest: NO DRIVING PAST 11pm ! (It was about midnight for me)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">