+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thebawler is offline Junior Member

Driving Unregistered Vehicle Not Mine

Hello,

I received 2 of the same tickets for driving an unregistered vehicle in California (dumb I know, I was trying to get the car fixed to pass smog and got a 2nd ticket) The Violation is 4000A1X 29. The bail amount is $25 with proof of correction. The problem is that the car is not mine and the question I have is......what if the owner or myself cannot register the vehicle? Do I have to pay a larger fine? If I have to pay a larger fine does anyone know how much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by thebawler; 03-04-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    The Occultist is offline Senior Member
    You'll not receive any help on this forum if you do not follow the rules; please tell us the name of your state.
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    Sounds an awful lot like California.
    Sorry, its California.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Sounds an awful lot like California.
    lol how did you know?
    The use of the terms "smog" and "bail amount" (when applied to a traffic ticket) and a violation code that looks like a contraction of a California Vehicle Code section (4000 covers registration, 4000.1 covers smog).

The answer is that it's $25 "fee" for the correctable offense. If you don't correct you'll pay $50 (I believe) plus costs which can be substantially larger.

Get the thing properly registered.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The use of the terms "smog" and "bail amount" (when applied to a traffic ticket) and a violation code that looks like a contraction of a California Vehicle Code section (4000 covers registration, 4000.1 covers smog).

The answer is that it's $25 "fee" for the correctable offense. If you don't correct you'll pay $50 (I believe) plus costs which can be substantially larger.

Get the thing properly registered.
    Well, the DMV is requiring a smog certificate to renew the registration. As I said in my OP, the car is not mine. The ticket was not for smog, it is for the registration, and I was just curious to know what I would have to do if I am unable to register the vehicle. $50 isn't bad if that is the case. Thank you for your reply and any further helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    It will be much more than $50. The "court costs" will be substantial.
    Unfortunately, the fact that the vehicle doesn't belong to you doesn't mean anything as it is your responsibility, as the operator, to ensure, prior to operating, that the vehicle is in compliance with the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Occultist View Post
    Unfortunately, the fact that the vehicle doesn't belong to you doesn't mean anything as it is your responsibility, as the operator, to ensure, prior to operating, that the vehicle is in compliance with the law.
    OK, I understand, but I don't think that you answered my question. If I am unable to get the vehicle registered, what happens then? Registering this vehicle is out of my control at the moment. Am I going to have to pay a large fine? Am I going to go to jail? If there is a fine do you know how much? Thanks in advance.
    You pay the bail amount plus costs which will be several times the bail amount
    Quote Originally Posted by thebawler View Post
    Am I going to go to jail?
    Heh, I did have to chuckle at that (please take no offense). As long as you pay whatever fines are assigned to you based on the violation, there will be absolutely no chance of jail time for you.

And the reason why I "didn't answer [your] question" is because Ron had answered it twice already.
    CdwJava is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebawler View Post
    OK, I understand, but I don't think that you answered my question. If I am unable to get the vehicle registered, what happens then? Registering this vehicle is out of my control at the moment. Am I going to have to pay a large fine? Am I going to go to jail? If there is a fine do you know how much? Thanks in advance.
    If it is unable to be registered, eventually it will be impounded. When the registration is expired for more than 6 months, then it goes bye-bye.

Each violation will cost you about $190 if not corrected. No jail, though. Unless you fail to appear in court, THEN you might get a warrant for your arrest.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    The fine for having no registration is somewhere in the $190 range....
    CdwJava is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtClerk View Post
    The fine for having no registration is somewhere in the $190 range....
    According to the 2009 Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule it indicates $190. I would have thought your neck of the woods would have been higher than the recommended ... unless $150 was from the 2008 level? I think a lot of the 2009 fines and fees have not yet kicked in since many of the recent fines are still coming from 29008 violations.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM