• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving while Lic is suspended - Florida, Brevard Co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tigerfan315

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My son was stopped for seat belt not in use in Brevard Co, FL. and when dep. ran his lic, he was driving on a suspended drivers lic. Charge 322.34.IB. We bailed he out on a $500 cash bond and he has to appear on 1/24 to the charges. He lives in Polk Co. (120 miles away) Can we have this appearance moved to Polk Co or do we have to show up? Also, they didn't impound the car. We have car minus plates. (He let his insurance expire reason he has a suspended license). Do we go get ins and go to get his lic and tags back before we appear in court? Or what? He can't drive and he needs to do job searching and interviewing? Let me know. Thanks.

FlyingRon

This is a serious charge (a second degree misdemeanor at least, 60 days in jail and/or $500 fine. He'll have to appear (in Polk county). It might be a good idea to consult a lawyer.

Being proactive in getting insurance and his license restored wouldn't be a bad idea.

davew128

I don't profess to know Florida law. I do question though, why would letting insurance lapse on a specific vehicle suspend a license to operate ANY vehicle? Is this in fact the case in Florida?

Tigerfan315

In Florida if you don't have ins. on your auto, letting it lapse,

they will suspend your drivers license. Thanks for responding!! ;)

LdiJ

I don't profess to know Florida law. I do question though, why would letting insurance lapse on a specific vehicle suspend a license to operate ANY vehicle? Is this in fact the case in Florida?
According to my now deceased father, who owned an insurance agency, auto insurance varies from state to state.

In some states insurance goes with the car. In some states insurance goes with the driver, and in some states its a hybrid.

My state is a hybrid. Insurance goes with the vehicle but if you are caught driving a car without insurance your license can be suspended until you pay a fine to reinstate your license and prove that you are insured...which is complicated if you don't own a car since insurance goes with the vehicle.

Basically someone has to add you as an authorized driver of a vehicle for you get your license reinstated...or you have to buy a beater and insure it to get your license reinstated.

FlyingRon

It is indeed the case in Florida (and in some other states).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">