+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Dual residency driver's license

    What is the name of your state? massachusetts/maine

    This is dealing with MA/ME cars and licenses. I'll try to make it short. Basically I have a residence in both MA and ME. This is a true dual residency as literally half my year is in one state or the other.

    I had a car in ME, all set up there, registered, etc. and while living in ME a couple of years ago, I got a ME license. At this point I thought my MA license was terminated. Guess not.

    Anyways, about a year later (about 3 1/2 months ago) I got an apartment in MA for while I am down here working at one of my production co.'s theatres. I brought down my car to use here. Figuring I didn't want people complaining about having ME plates in MA, and as this is where the car is used, I got the car set up in MA (registration, plates, etc.)

    Here's where the crux is: I can only have one license at a time as far as I know. I had a choice between the two, ME and MA. I kept my ME license as I have to operate a wheelchair van in ME, and the hospital security needs to see the ME license.

    Well, the car got towed. It was towed because my MA license (which I guess was never terminated when I got my ME license) expired. Actually it was expired before I even registered the car in MA (surprised nobody said anything then).

    So I guess my question is dealing with dual residency. I thought I had done everything right. MA is saying I need a valid MA license. But I need to keep my ME license for medical reasons, and my ME residency is just as valid as MA.

    If you have any advise that would be wonderful. Thank you so much for the help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    South Cackalacky
    Who Needs a Massachusetts License?
    Residents of Massachusetts (MA) are required to have a valid MA license to legally operate a vehicle in MA. Out-of-state or foreign-licensed drivers MUST obtain a MA driver's license upon becoming a MA resident.

    New Resident With Valid Out of State License
    If you are moving to this state and have in your possession a valid out-of-state driver's license, you can obtain a Maine license by:

    1. Visiting the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles office nearest you. Conversion of a CDL license must be processed by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles main office in Augusta.
    2. Completing a vision screening . You may not be required to take a written and road test.
    3. Turning in your out-of-state license.
    4. Paying the exam and license fees (these fees differ by class).

    Detailed information on laws, exams and licenses is available in booklet form. The Motorist Handbook and Study Guide is for Class C licenses and motorcycles. The Commercial Driver's Manual is the guide for CDL licenses. You can obtain either of these manual online or at any one of our branch offices or by contacting our Main Office.
    Start with the DMVs for both states.

    My new signature:
    Originally Posted by arazi
    I'll take you on one-to-one in a volcabulary test anywhere, anyplace, anytime.
+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. arrested twice for alleged driver license being suspended while license are not suspe
    By broadcw in forum Arrests, Searches, Warrants & Procedure
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 08:31 AM
  2. Unlicensed driver (with driver license from my home country)
    By slho7 in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 11:38 AM
  3. McClure-Volkmer Act - Dual Residency
    By Spilleta in forum Other Crimes – Federal and State
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 08:09 AM
  4. dual residency
    By jp_ker in forum Immigration
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2003, 07:43 AM
  5. Dual State Residency
    By bford2001 in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2003, 05:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.