• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dual residency driver's license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enigma2118

What is the name of your state? massachusetts/maine

This is dealing with MA/ME cars and licenses. I'll try to make it short. Basically I have a residence in both MA and ME. This is a true dual residency as literally half my year is in one state or the other.

I had a car in ME, all set up there, registered, etc. and while living in ME a couple of years ago, I got a ME license. At this point I thought my MA license was terminated. Guess not.

Anyways, about a year later (about 3 1/2 months ago) I got an apartment in MA for while I am down here working at one of my production co.'s theatres. I brought down my car to use here. Figuring I didn't want people complaining about having ME plates in MA, and as this is where the car is used, I got the car set up in MA (registration, plates, etc.)

Here's where the crux is: I can only have one license at a time as far as I know. I had a choice between the two, ME and MA. I kept my ME license as I have to operate a wheelchair van in ME, and the hospital security needs to see the ME license.

Well, the car got towed. It was towed because my MA license (which I guess was never terminated when I got my ME license) expired. Actually it was expired before I even registered the car in MA (surprised nobody said anything then).

So I guess my question is dealing with dual residency. I thought I had done everything right. MA is saying I need a valid MA license. But I need to keep my ME license for medical reasons, and my ME residency is just as valid as MA.

If you have any advise that would be wonderful. Thank you so much for the help.

moburkes

Who Needs a Massachusetts License?
Residents of Massachusetts (MA) are required to have a valid MA license to legally operate a vehicle in MA. Out-of-state or foreign-licensed drivers MUST obtain a MA driver's license upon becoming a MA resident.

New Resident With Valid Out of State License
If you are moving to this state and have in your possession a valid out-of-state driver's license, you can obtain a Maine license by:

1. Visiting the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles office nearest you. Conversion of a CDL license must be processed by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles main office in Augusta.
2. Completing a vision screening . You may not be required to take a written and road test.
3. Turning in your out-of-state license.
4. Paying the exam and license fees (these fees differ by class).

Detailed information on laws, exams and licenses is available in booklet form. The Motorist Handbook and Study Guide is for Class C licenses and motorcycles. The Commercial Driver's Manual is the guide for CDL licenses. You can obtain either of these manual online or at any one of our branch offices or by contacting our Main Office.
Start with the DMVs for both states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">