• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elongated bus stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlexK

What is the name of your state? NY

How far past the bus stop sign does a bus stop extend in NYC?

I was parked over a hundred feet behind a bus stop and got a ticket for being in a bus stop. Although in Manhattan, this is a place where one bus stops (the M14a,) it is NOT a situation where a whole block is bus stops for various buses. I thought that there is no way a bus would have any problem fitting, I also rememeber from somewhere that 80 feet is what is allocated to a bus stop, but was unable to find it.

(This was on Ave A between 10th and 11th streets southbound, the stop starts about 30 feet from 10th. I parked at the crosswalk near 11th.)

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

The official rule, which I am too lazy to look up at the moment (but is on the internet should you decide you need to see it), it that every bus stop extends until the next regulatory sign is posted. Yes, that means there are some bus stops that are the entire block long.

The "trick" is to find out not only where the next sign is, but where the next sign should have been. Contact the DOT and ask them how you can get a copy of all the signs for the block you were cited on - it'll list the sign contents and the sign location.

All that said, I can tell you already that "you are guilty" and might as well just plead it out and take the automatic 20% reduction they're offering.

Either way, good luck.

PS: Regulatory "sign" means just that -- a sign. A parking meter doesn't count and there are dozens of meters that are located in bus stops across the city. A fantastic moneymaker in these tight budget times!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">