• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this entrapment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zebula

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was grocery shopping and when I went to leave there was a cop in the parking lot at the end of my row of cars in plain sight of my vehicle. I waited about five minutes for him to leave and he didn't move, I went to my vehicle put my groceries away and got in the car, when I pulled out onto the road he was a car behind me and pulled me over as soon as the car had passed and issued me a ticked for expired plates, my plates were expired but he was also staking me out on private property. If I take this to court could I get the ticket revoked because of his staking my vehicle out?What is the name of your state?

patstew

I was grocery shopping and when I went to leave there was a cop in the parking lot at the end of my row of cars in plain sight of my vehicle. I waited about five minutes for him to leave...
Why were you waiting for him to leave? Was it because you knew your plates were expired?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Look at it this way - how did the cop force you to drive with expired tags?

zebula

yes I was waiting for him to leave because my plates were expired, the only reason I was driving on expired plates is because half the engine was just rebuilt and we had to drive it around a little to make sure everything was ok, I am not going to plate a truck that won't work so I was waiting to put a plate on, I was about a mile from my house. Not that the officer cared, nor is it really his job to but none the less.

fairisfair

yes I was waiting for him to leave because my plates were expired, the only reason I was driving on expired plates is because half the engine was just rebuilt and we had to drive it around a little to make sure everything was ok, I am not going to plate a truck that won't work so I was waiting to put a plate on, I was about a mile from my house. Not that the officer cared, nor is it really his job to but none the less.
No his job is to keep non registered vehicles off the road. And that is what he did.

I am sure that the state of Michigan must offer some kind of a temporary permit, or prorated registration. You took a chance, and you lost.

justalayman

There is no "free trial period". You either reg. the car or you don;t drive on public property. What the cop did was not entrapment, or even close. Entrapment would be inducing you to commit a crime and then arresting you or ticketing you. You broke the law all by yourself without the officer inducing you to do anything.

BTW, did you have insurance and if not, did the cop induce you to drive without insuarance too?

Consider yourself lucky. He could have towed the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">